Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

mike mentzer HIt

I have tried his workouts and I really dont like them. the 1-2 reps just dont do it for me. I never felt like I had a good workout or a good pump after one of his workouts

well, Mike never pushed 1-2 reps to failure...

Not sure where you read that?[

Last edited:
charles glass dont know him never met him but EVERYBODY says hes the best

mike mentzer

not a good trainer? ok. helped bodybuilders all over the world who thought that 15/20 reps was the way to work out? absolutly

the man never said do one rep that i read but he did say train with intensity and dont over train and he helped us all

mike mentzer RIP. a man who helped us all learn

He trained Dorian Yates

and that 1 set was really broken down into a lot of combinations such as forced reps, strip sets, rest pause, etc. It was never 1 rep.

Heres the deal: its easier to overtrain a 19" arm than a 16" arm. Experienced trainers with years under their belts need to avoid overtraining. Over the years of training contraction becomes easier and so less "work" is needed. But intensity is the key. Early trainers do not have the necessary neural training to properly activate a large number of cells intensely. They need a "pump" to activate the capillary buildup necessary for growth. Advanced trainers can do more with less volume and more intensity.

The man took care of his brother and was a great bodybuilder - show some respect.

Themachine01 said:
I have tried his workouts and I really dont like them. the 1-2 reps just dont do it for me. \

You definately didn't do it properly, re-read up on it.

I've done it for over a year, and it definately agrees with me.

I recently changed my workouts to H.I.T. type training. I did do
Mentzer type a few months ago but for a short while. I didn't really care for it. I am now training 3 days a week, doing 1 set
(not conventional, drop's, rest/pause,neg's) to failure. I am in love
(for now!) with this type and do think there is no significant evidence that the 3 sets of 10/12 reps per exercise is more effective then 1 set (to absolute concentric failure) is. Yesterday,
I trained chest. I did TWO exercises!! That's it! I did 1 drop set
of incline dumbells, (100x8, 95x 6, and 90x4) then 1 drop set
of cable crossovers. The burn I felt in my chest was like no other
workout I had. The trick is to keep perfect form and a good rep
speed, ie s l o w!! Like a 2/4 for upper body and a 2/2 for lower.
BTW- I am growing like a weed!!
g

I've always followed a version of that training ever since Dorian was winning the Olympias with it. I still do only about 6-8 sets per bodypart. 2 sets of 4-6 reps at max intensity, with forced reps, drop sets, partial reps, whatever. My friends make fun of me because I'm in and out of the gym in 30 minutes but I can be the last one to laugh because they can't come close to the size I can get, or the weights I can push.

For someone to say it doesn't work doesn't know what much about it. It doesn't work for everyone. It does put more stress on your joints and you walk a fine line of injury to making gains. Dorian wasn't the prettiest bodybuilder, but at the time noone could match his size and density. Your body can only take so many years of that type of training before your tendons start ripping. So now I use it for a couple months of the year and that's when I make my best gains in size and strength. If done right 2 sets of 1 exercise wipes you out so there is no reason to continue on with the same exercise. Siwtch up to another machine or free weight for another 2 sets and that's it. I've got my arms to 20" cold using 6 sets for bi's and 6 sets for tris. Haven't been able to break the 20" mark but thats not bad for someone that doesn't compete and is 5'10"

dam, good thing I decided to check this thread one more time. Just to clear this issue up, I made a mistake, I meant 1-2 sets, not reps, mind must hve been somewhere else at the time.

Top Bottom