Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Westside style using Lockouts?????

OK here's one thing that I don't understand about westside training now with my old workout that was "overtraining" I got 20lb increase on my bench in 4 weeks and you guys are saying be happy if I get a 10lb increase in 6-8 weeks. I perfer to overtrain and get more lbs on my bench then do barely anything and get 10lbs or 15lbs. And a 55lb gain for a year damn that's pretty shitty before when I lifted straight a year ago I'd get 55lbs in 3 months.

Back to my lockouts I'm locking out from the rack 4" to press in other words the weight is 4" away from what I have to finish my lockout therefore I'm only throwing up the weight 4". Not on my chest to begin with at all just on the power rack.

When you are new gains come quick and fast.

with other training programs you will gain shit loads and then all of a sudden not gain anything for a whole year.

westside is a constantly developing program (i think i recal screwball calling it a monster) that evolves to cater to your weakness at them time. you will break that weakness and you will find another one......you keep on evolving and gain more and more......until you have surpased you friends who have been stuck for months.

also as i have found......if you have a major weakness you can nail it and add shitloads to your total in a short amount of time.
as louie said...theres an exercise out there that is going to put 50lbs on your bench straight away.you just have to find it.

as a side note i was watching benchpress workout #2 with george halbert (first exercise declines) louie said within 1 year December to december george went from a 475 to a 620 bench (i dont knowif he was still a full powerlifter...or just becoming a bench presser at the time)
pryor to that he was stuck at 475........for 2 YEARS!

Endpoint,

I also have that video, and I believe that George was a 3 lift lifter at that time, but later on decided to go bench only.

Cubanito, I am starting to think that your biggest problem is not that you have weak shoulders, or pecs or back or whatever, your problem is that you are 17 years old, and just at the very beginning of a powerlifting career and you are already smarter than guys who have been doing this for years and are doubling and tripling your max.

When I was 17 I was the toughest smartest guy in the world, but the older and dumber I get, the smarter decisions I make, because I now have the good sense to learn from people who know more than me. If you want to go back to your old style of lifting, go ahead. If it will consistantly put 55 lbs on your bench in 3 months, that is great, do it.

And if you think 55 lbs of gains on your max is shitty for a year, you have a rude awakening ahead of you. How much do you think Ed Coam or Powerlifterjay would give to put 55 lbs on thier max in a year. If you have never picked up a barbell, sure 55 lbs in 3 months is do-able. Try that after 10 years of hitting it week in and week out and then tell me that you wouldn't be happy with a 55 lb gain in a year. Hell if I gained that for the next 4 years, I would be right up there with George Halbert.

B.

Cubanito...

Listen to what Endpoint and Brian Mincher are saying to you. Both posts are giving you the straight shit. These guys are telling you from experience. Don't let it go in one ear and out the other.

I know your "gung-ho" about powerlifting and gaining strength... Hell we all are. But, you need be honest with yourself and the goals you are trying to attain. You can't jump from one training program to another and switch things up weekly. You have to make a plan, stick to the plan and evaluate the plan after a relevant time. Only through intelligent, consistant training will you be able to reach your goals.

Do yourself a favor and listen to the guys who post on this board. They are the best source of knowledge you will probably ever have. You can benefit from all of the ridiculous mistakes we've made throughout our training careers.

- Screwball

Hey sorry for the posting yesterday I was just really pissed b/c my boss at work was up my ass for the whole 6 hours i was there then tried to tell me that I was parked in customer parking not employee parking when i didn't even drive to work yesterday my parents dropped of my truck b/c i was getting my system fixed, i work at Publix(grocery store).
Endpoint I see where your coming from that and either way i was gonna stick with westside b/c i like the short workouts and hitting PR's in lifts.
Brian Hey uuummmm thanx for the whole 55lb shitty awakening bro. And I've been told that for 17 I have too much knowledge in all this but again it's not a bad thing and the fact that I'm getting an early start is even better. In fact my lil bro that is 14 has way more knowledge than me or at least than I did when I was 14 so his gains are gonna come ALOT faster.
Screwball Ye I guess I am, but at least I have a goal set for myself and it is to gain strength. I've changed my new Goal for bench this friday I'm hoping for at least 275. If I can get more than by all means man this is awesome.

Top Bottom