Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Critique my Squat -- Vid inside!! Oh boy! Click here!

Protobuilder

There's the link:

http://media.putfile.com/March-06-Squat-5x155

Basically, my squat is weak as hell (max single = 210-15 at BW of 170-ish). This is my 4th set of 5x5 at 155. I've struggled & struggled to find a good squat groove over the past year. It's just a tough lift for me. I don't know if it's a biomechanical issue, a flexibility issue, or just plain weak legs. I'm 5'11", relatively lanky and not naturally strong or muscular--a perfect combination! Anyway, I've tried to do a close stance OLY style squat but I can't balance for some reason. I have to tilt way forward to get ass-to-grass. So I've opened my stance up -- my feet are probably 30" apart give or take. This lets me get down past parallel but I can't get "ass to ankles" w/out my lower back rounding pretty badly. So I go as deep as I can w/out losing too much of my arch. You can see in the video that I lose my arch some at the bottom and that I'm going below parallel but it isn't an "ass to grass" squat really. But it's as deep as I can get right now. Not sure what to do or if it can even be fixed given my body dimensions, etc. If it can, I'm all ears.

Anyway, let me know what you see and what you don't. Forgive the crappy videography. The guy running the digital camera is a complete moron.

Looked very tight. I watched it only once, so my eyes may be playing tricks, but I think you started to fold/round on the last rep on your way up. Feel looked planted nice (didn't pull a G5), lower back had a nice dip in it, ass was back (this makes me feel a bit flamboyant, having to say that), and your upper back looked like it was holding the bar well. Bra-vah, my friend.

I'm sure others will critique you better than I, but I don't see a problem.

nice deep squat :) I agree that your stance is kinda wide so your hittin more glutes you can always do front squats for quads if you feel like your getting an imbalance.

Also- what shoes? or are those socks. they didnt look like they were helping you be steady on the lift. just a thought. maybe look into some lifting shoes.

Good work!

The depth looks good, but i think from looking at that your knees are coming out past your ankles. I too had a balance/flexability issue with my oly squat when i first learned it. one thing i do is keep my hands on the bar for a second, and then just squat down (like on the balls of your toes). hold onto the bar for balance. then lean back until your feet are flat. this is how low you could in theory go. It's just hella hard on the abs and back to keep you from falling backward.

it's hard to explain. i'll try and get a video of how i do it. it helped me a lot.

Out past his ankles? Do you mean laterally?

Forgot to comment on depth - very nice, deep squat. No problem on the ass-checking, brah.

Stance wasn't too wide really. Most people have enough quad development anyway, and any sort of back squat is still going to overly develop the quads compared to the hamstrings as you get stronger (think 1.5x bodyweight squat) - so by that point, add in some direct hamstring work. Nothing major - a few sets of leg curls 2x a week. But forget I said that, I don't want to confuse you or make you worry.

Of course, if you do feel the need to get more quad growth, do as Ms. Bev said - front squat.

Looked a little wide, knees MAY have gone a bit to far past the toes, kinda hard to tell, other than that it was good

it looked pretty good. i think you would improve faster if you threw some good mornings in the mix. I see you drifting forward, when your back fatigues and your legs drive you up. gm's will prevent any injury from getting out of your groove and also tighten up your lower back thoughout the movement.

the main thing with an oly squat is to stand straight up. ie. shoot your head up through an imaginary ring above you. this keeps you from drifting forward and having your ass drift back. basically you sit straight down and shoot straight up. try it without weight and you'll probably feel a bit different. under weight its compensation that gets you to stand up, especially if you are quad dominant and not strong in the hips. thats why your hips will continue to rise but your torso stalls out a bit (doesn't move at the same rate).

your foot positioning is fine, i think you need it to sit down like that. you have long legs and a shorter torso so you'll expect to have to sit a bit between your legs.

looked very good to me. That is how I do mine pretty much. It looks as though you have found that groove. Just remember to increase the internal pressure by restricting your breath on the way down and exhale power breathing style on the way up. Doing that will stablize your low back and prevent the forward lean. It takes some practice but really helps on the heavy lifts.

You will know that it is working because on the heavier lifts your low back does not even come into play and your abs are tired/sore by the end of your work out.

Looks pretty damn good to me. You've got stilts so don't sweat the wide stance. I think you're plenty deep too.

I paused the vid when you're at the bottom and I'd say you might try to stay more upright, but it may be biomechanics. Just make sure you're driving throught the heels primarily at the start of the ascent. This is the tip that got my squat to take off. Saying 'sit back more' might be the right cue, but I'd like to see you more upright in the hole.

Overall, very good form IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom