Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Legs still sore after 5 days.

Puddles

OK...so last Friday I did squats for the first time. Just the bar, 3 sets, 8, 10, and 12. Well... the front of my thighs are still sore. I've been pretty much out of the gym for 2 months, but I had still been working leg work occasionally. Wonder why I'm still sore after 5 days. Any ideas?

I asked the same question a couple of months ago. When I work legs I always stay sore for about 5-days. For some reason or another this is the only body part that stays sore that long. It doesn't matter what I do or how much weight I use I still experience the same thing. I like being sore but I always have to hit legs on a thursday or friday so I have the weekend to recover because I can barely walk at work the muscles are so sore.:bawling: .

SB

I hear ya MPF :) When I go heavy with legs damn do they hurt for a few days. Hurt to even sit on the toilet! Your best bet and what works for me is to continue working legs but at a lower intensity until they have " caught up with you."This won't allow the fibers to bind up so much. It'll hurt at first but then feel much better. And stretching once you are finished is so important. Take your time warming up. I allow myself 15-20 minutes to bike ( just getting blood into the muscle) and stretching prior to the workout. I must admit that their have been occasions when I've skipped the biking or eliptical and just stretched and it really made a differnce. Plus you've had time off and that definately plays a part. I had to take time off lately and I KNOW I will be one sore mama when I start training again. I absolutely miss it:insane: :insane:

Good luck
msboss

I've had my legs sore for a week before! Of course, it was always during the first couple weeks of a training cycle. As the volume decreases, so does the amount of soreness I get. Interestingly, if I don't do squats during my leg workout, my quads won't get sore at all. I do legs on Sunday, so that makes for an interesting beginning of work week, especially since I have to go down a flight of stairs to get to the bathroom! (only men's room on the floor I work on :mad: )

Ms. Puddles, just the quads are sore? No upper ham or glute soreness? Wish I could observe your form. That's exactly the emphasis I want to get out of squats.

Are you doing enough stretching after your leg workout? I never used to stretch enough... it makes all the difference. Now I'm usually on sore for 2 days. Sometmes a nice hot bath helps too.

lucidBlue said:
Are you doing enough stretching after your leg workout? I never used to stretch enough... it makes all the difference. Now I'm usually on sore for 2 days. Sometmes a nice hot bath helps too.

No...I've never done post work out stretching. <hanging my head in shame> Actually, this is the first time I've heard of stretching AFTER lifting. Normally my legs sore for 2 days, just like other body parts...this is the first time I'm feeling it this long.

Anya, yes, just my quads remain sore. As for my form...I followed a post by Citruscide on another board. I watched video clips many times and read his post (actually printed it out) until I was blue in the face...deathly afraid to do it wrong. My husband spotted me and to his observations, I was doing it right.

Here's a link to C's post:

http://www.chemicalmuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=862

BTW...that site is a new one focussing largely on women's lifting...looks like it's going to be a wonderful place.
http://www.chemicalmuscle.com

DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), very common. It's usually worst at about 24-48 hours post-workout, and then declines over the next 5-7 days.

Primary means of relief:

static stretching (utilizes the inverse myotatic reflex, which relaxes the muscles), acute exercise (increases endorphins), and anti-inflamatory drugs.

Top Bottom