Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how many people do ashtanga yoga?

I used to be quite the yoga fanatic, but it screwed up my neck, and that's according to my neurologist.
That aside, isn't yoga pretty catabolic? I'm not being critical, I just questioning.

no offense taken... i am pretty new to the whole weightlifting thing.

i have heard that it's catabolic, but being a very slight ectomorph-type, i figure i'm not going to get real huge anyway. i like the whole idea of being flexible to avoid injury, and on the tapes i have, there are some really strong looking people (friggin' pretzels, too, lol).

any further comments on this topic/opinion are appreciated, since i'm new and don't necessarily have all my facts straight...

Catabolic means it uses muscle, not builds muscle. (Like aerobic uses oxygen, anaerobic doesn't.)

Most yogis I've ever studied with were very lean, but since that's here in LA, I don't think that their skinniness came just from yoga. If you're very slight, you might want to build up some muscle through lifting and eating, as well as doing yoga. Obviously, big, huge BBing guys might have trouble with the flexibility, but most women shouldn't.

If you enjoy it, I don't see why you couldn't lift 2-3 days a week and use ashtanga as your cardio workout on other days.

ok great that sounds good... that's kinda what i've been doing. it's good to hear the reinforcement. :)

i'm sorta thinking of rejoining the rowing club in my city too.

[This message has been edited by smallmovesal (edited April 20, 2001).]

There's a posterhere named Telli, who's in Vancouver, I belive, who's a high school rower. Lifting will definitely help you in rowing.

Top Bottom