Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Trainer wants me tone! I want to get bigger!!!!

makalauna

Well, Last Sept. I hired a Trainer at the Gym. He's in good shape all around but not a big buff guy. He seems to be directing me towards getting tone instead of building the muscle I want. I take it upon myself to up my weights. It's been working!! I've told him I want to grow bigger muscle but he doesn't seem to get it. :p Also he has me on the Apex program. 65% carbs, 20% protein and 15% fat. I workout 4 to 5 days a week. The carbs seem a bit high to get my body fat down and the protein seems a bit low for muscle growth!! Any advice????? My ideal goal is to get as big as I can naturally!!! Any ideas?? :heart:

I think you should hire someone that will pay attention to YOUR goals, not the canned program that the gym has them passing out, or his personal pre-conceived notions of how a woman should look-train. If you have made your intentions and goals clear and he still has you "toning", I'd drop him. You're paying for a service that he is not providing. It's like paying someone to wax your floors and all they do is mop. Close, but not good enough. That's my $0.02 anyway. You seem fairly knowledgable, you sure you need a trainer?

There IS no such thing as "tone."

Either its muscle or its fat.

Muscle is muscle...pure and simple.

Fire the trainer. Find someone who knows their head from their ass. Even if that means you go up to the "big guy" in the gym and ask if he can give you some tips. Hell, find the "big girl" in the gym and ask the same thing. Many of the best "trainers" aren't gym staff.

don't pay the asshole then see if he will isten lol i hate trainers who train all of their clients the same way we all have diffrent bodies and goals fuckin moron he is just fire his ass

makalauna said:
Well, Last Sept. I hired a Trainer at the Gym. He's in good shape all around but not a big buff guy. He seems to be directing me towards getting tone instead of building the muscle I want. I take it upon myself to up my weights. It's been working!! I've told him I want to grow bigger muscle but he doesn't seem to get it. :p Also he has me on the Apex program. 65% carbs, 20% protein and 15% fat. I workout 4 to 5 days a week. The carbs seem a bit high to get my body fat down and the protein seems a bit low for muscle growth!! Any advice????? My ideal goal is to get as big as I can naturally!!! Any ideas?? :heart:

As a PT/Gym Owner myself, I try and give most of these guys the benefit of the doubt when it comes to these things, however, I must admit that most of these "certified" trainers couldn't train their way out of a paper bag!!!!!!! While I, like any other PT, have my own preferences as to what I like in a body, I always remind my trainees that it is THEIR body, and I'm there to help them look how they want, not how what I think would look good. If you really like working with this guy, you might try making it VERY clear to him what your goals are, that you are not happy with the direction that your training is going, and that you want a program that is "focused" towards YOUR PERSONAL goals. If he still doesn't get it, yes you are better off going it alone, as a GOOD PT should never impose their own personal preferences on a trainee!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of all the women that I have at my gym, only 1 has had the guts to want to get muscular, and I can tell you that in the time we have been working to geather she had dropped over 40 lbs, and added a considerable amount of muscle. It was really rewarding to me to see her go from a former "chubby" to the resident "Hot Bod" of the gym, LOL. The truth of the matter is I get real bored with the typical "ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww muscles are like sooooooooooooo gross!!!!!! just get rid of my hips, inner thighs, rear, and tummy please" response that I get from 99% of the women at the gym. So if you'd like, feel free to post your split here, and I'd be more than happy to help you "tweak" it in order to orient it towards your current goals. When you know what you are doing, it's really quite simple for anyone to get bigger, wheather you are a man or a woman, so just let me know!!!!!! If nothing else, atleast working with me here, you will always get your money's worth, LOL :D and not have to shell out money to someone who isn't taking you where you want to go. O.M.G. BTW you are totally right about your diet percentages, carbs are way too high, and protein is way to low to get you where you want to go. So much for the PT's, LOL.

Last edited:
one man gang said:
As a PT/Gym Owner myself, I try and give most of these guys the benefit of the doubt when it comes to these things, however, I must admit that most of these "certified" trainers couldn't train their way out of a paper bag!!!!!!! While I, like any other PT, have my own preferences as to what I like in a body, I always remind my trainees that it is THEIR body, and I'm there to help them look how they want, not how what I think would look good. If you really like working with this guy, you might try making it VERY clear to him what your goals are, that you are not happy with the direction that your training is going, and that you want a program that is "focused" towards YOUR PERSONAL goals. If he still doesn't get it, yes you are better off going it alone, as a GOOD PT should never impose their own personal preferences on a trainee!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of all the women that I have at my gym, only 1 has had the guts to want to get muscular, and I can tell you that in the time we have been working to geather she had dropped over 40 lbs, and added a considerable amount of muscle. It was really rewarding to me to see her go from a former "chubby" to the resident "Hot Bod" of the gym, LOL. The truth of the matter is I get real bored with the typical "ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww muscles are like sooooooooooooo gross!!!!!! just get rid of my hips, inner thighs, rear, and tummy please" response that I get from 99% of the women at the gym. So if you'd like, feel free to post your split here, and I'd be more than happy to help you "tweak" it in order to orient it towards your current goals. When you know what you are doing, it's really quite simple for anyone to get bigger, wheather you are a man or a woman, so just let me know!!!!!! If nothing else, atleast working with me here, you will always get your money's worth, LOL :D and not have to shell out money to someone who isn't taking you where you want to go. O.M.G. BTW you are totally right about your diet percentages, carbs are way too high, and protein is way to low to get you where you want to go. So much for the PT's, LOL.
Thanks for the post!!! Post split?? I'm 5'6 and weigh 139. Im in the low normal body fat %. I need to lose some fat in order for the muscle to be more defined. I was lookin pretty good towards this goal but then I went and had a boob job two months ago. I'm now back at the gym with no restrictions but pulldowns and chest exercises feel a bit strange. I usually do 30-45min of cardio 4 to 5 times a week ( Usually 5). As for the trainer, I already paid for the sessions so I'm out the money but hey you live and learn!! Any advice on eating? Fat%,carbs,protein?? Calories??? He now has me on 1560 calories per day. I was also drinking a protein shake with low carbs and skim milk. :rose:

makalauna said:
Thanks for the post!!! Post split?? I'm 5'6 and weigh 139. Im in the low normal body fat %. I need to lose some fat in order for the muscle to be more defined. I was lookin pretty good towards this goal but then I went and had a boob job two months ago. I'm now back at the gym with no restrictions but pulldowns and chest exercises feel a bit strange. I usually do 30-45min of cardio 4 to 5 times a week ( Usually 5). As for the trainer, I already paid for the sessions so I'm out the money but hey you live and learn!! Any advice on eating? Fat%,carbs,protein?? Calories??? He now has me on 1560 calories per day. I was also drinking a protein shake with low carbs and skim milk. :rose:

What I meant by "split" is how many days a week you train with weights, and what muslce groups you do on each particular day. What you need to have real clear is wheather you want to cut up or gain some muscle, cause the eating plans and cardio are TOTALLY different!!!!!!!! So let me know as far as which you decide. As we are now in the hot summer months, I usually suggest to my trainee's that they focus on cutting now, cause the heat tends to lower the appetite and with more sweating,it's easier to loose the water weight. It's your bod, makalauna, you decide and let me know. I will say, however, that without a doubt, your carbs are wayyyyyyyy tooooooo high for loosing fat. I'd almost have you invert them with the protein (50% protein, 30%carbs, 20% fat) cause I'm a real carb "hater" when it comes to dieting. I probably wouldn't have ya even eat that many carbs for gaining muscle either, protein is what really "builds" muscle For someone your size, (BTW, according to your height and weight, I can't imagine you having too much fat to really loose, you shure you're not just being hard on yourself????)I'd also say that your calorie count might be a little high if you are trying to loose weight, but without knowing you personally, it's hard to say. Do you "feel" that you are eating a lot????? Just how low is your body fat %???? more or less???? Milk is also generally a no-no on any cutting program, so you might want to ditch that too if you decide that you wan to cut up. We've got a lot of ground to cover, but I'd be more than happy to help ya if ya want. And right, you live and learn, the good thing is that you will probably have "learned" more by the time we are finished than the PT that is trying to "help" ya,LOL. Take care, O.M.G. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom