Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Trainer wants me tone! I want to get bigger!!!!

one man gang said:
What I meant by "split" is how many days a week you train with weights, and what muslce groups you do on each particular day. What you need to have real clear is wheather you want to cut up or gain some muscle, cause the eating plans and cardio are TOTALLY different!!!!!!!! So let me know as far as which you decide. As we are now in the hot summer months, I usually suggest to my trainee's that they focus on cutting now, cause the heat tends to lower the appetite and with more sweating,it's easier to loose the water weight. It's your bod, makalauna, you decide and let me know. I will say, however, that without a doubt, your carbs are wayyyyyyyy tooooooo high for loosing fat. I'd almost have you invert them with the protein (50% protein, 30%carbs, 20% fat) cause I'm a real carb "hater" when it comes to dieting. I probably wouldn't have ya even eat that many carbs for gaining muscle either, protein is what really "builds" muscle For someone your size, (BTW, according to your height and weight, I can't imagine you having too much fat to really loose, you shure you're not just being hard on yourself????)I'd also say that your calorie count might be a little high if you are trying to loose weight, but without knowing you personally, it's hard to say. Do you "feel" that you are eating a lot????? Just how low is your body fat %???? more or less???? Milk is also generally a no-no on any cutting program, so you might want to ditch that too if you decide that you wan to cut up. We've got a lot of ground to cover, but I'd be more than happy to help ya if ya want. And right, you live and learn, the good thing is that you will probably have "learned" more by the time we are finished than the PT that is trying to "help" ya,LOL. Take care, O.M.G. :)
I think I'm 23% bodyfat. I'll double check. Monday- back and shoulder,Tuesday-bicep and legs,Wednesday-stomach and back Thursday-legs and bicep and Friday is whatever I feel I need. I really want to gain muscle and lose some bodyfat. I look fine but no defined. My goal is to be able to see all my muscles without flexing. As for eating I feel my carbs are high too. A typical day for me is Breakfast-Coffee w/splenda and non-fat creamer, Rye toast and margarine. snack- Banana. Lunch A Salad w/chicken, lettace,tomato,onion,red pepper and cottage cheese(low fat). snack- a Piece of fruit or a yogart and Dinner is fish, swordfish or trout only about 4 ounces with greenbeans. Popcorn 94%fat free sometimes if I need to munch. I know my breakfast isn't too good but it's hard to break the coffee!! The trainer had told me that the reason for the high carbs was because of the amount of days I do cardio?? ( :coffee: Carbs are energy)

makalauna said:
IThe trainer had told me that the reason for the high carbs was because of the amount of days I do cardio?? ( :coffee: Carbs are energy)
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hate to say this Makalauna, but I rest my case!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most trainers couldn't train their way out of a paper bag!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll make a long story real short, and when I'm finsihed, you'll already know more than your "trainer." The body's FAVORITE energy source to burn as fuel is glycogen (carbs are converted into glycogen in the body), so as long as your body has glycogen in the "system" to burn it will NEVER burn body fat as fuel, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rest assured that this is not just my opinion, it's a biological FACT!!!!!! Congratulations girl friend, you now know more than your PT!!!!!!!!!!! Secondly, don't worry about the coffee, it's acutally very helpfull for several reasons. First it's a thermogenic, which means it raises your body temp, and helps you burn more calories, secondly, it's a diuretic, which means that it helps you get rid of excess water weight, and thirdly, it's a stimulant, which will give you more energy for your workouts, so by all means, feel free to keep the coffee!!!!!
I've also got the feeling that your bodyfat isn't as high as you think it is, but it's hard to tell working like this. If it isn't too much to ask, can you just tell me what your waist size is for jeans???? Given that I already know your height (I'm 5'6 too, so we got that in common, but I weigh a little more than you, LOL) and weight, knowing your waist size would give me an accurate idea of what kind of shape you are in.
The split is a little "strange" at least compared to the one's I use with people. I'd have you do abs more than once a week, and I notice that you don't do chest on any day????? How many days a week are you doing your cardio, for how long, and what kind?????? Is there any area of the body that you would like to improve in particular??? That also affects the kind of body part split you do. And lastly, the number of sets and reps you use are very important depending on wheather you want to cut up or gain some weight. So how many sets are you doing per bodypart, and what kind of rep range does your "trainer" have you doing. Also what time of day do you usually work out, that also will affect the diet a bit. I've probably made this post a lot longer than I should, so I hope that you are still awake. I think we are just about ready to get you started in the direction that you want to go, so just get back to me, and I think you'll be on your way. O.M.G.

Last edited:
one man gang said:
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hate to say this Makalauna, but I rest my case!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most trainers couldn't train their way out of a paper bag!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll make a long story real short, and when I'm finsihed, you'll already know more than your "trainer." The body's FAVORITE energy source to burn as fuel is glycogen (carbs are converted into glycogen in the body), so as long as your body has glycogen in the "system" to burn it will NEVER burn body fat as fuel, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rest assured that this is not just my opinion, it's a biological FACT!!!!!! Congratulations girl friend, you now know more than your PT!!!!!!!!!!! Secondly, don't worry about the coffee, it's acutally very helpfull for several reasons. First it's a thermogenic, which means it raises your body temp, and helps you burn more calories, secondly, it's a diuretic, which means that it helps you get rid of excess water weight, and thirdly, it's a stimulant, which will give you more energy for your workouts, so by all means, feel free to keep the coffee!!!!!
I've also got the feeling that your bodyfat isn't as high as you think it is, but it's hard to tell working like this. If it isn't too much to ask, can you just tell me what your waist size is for jeans???? Given that I already know your height (I'm 5'6 too, so we got that in common, but I weigh a little more than you, LOL) and weight, knowing your waist size would give me an accurate idea of what kind of shape you are in.
The split is a little "strange" at least compared to the one's I use with people. I'd have you do abs more than once a week, and I notice that you don't do chest on any day????? How many days a week are you doing your cardio, for how long, and what kind?????? Is there any area of the body that you would like to improve in particular??? That also affects the kind of body part split you do. And lastly, the number of sets and reps you use are very important depending on wheather you want to cut up or gain some weight. So how many sets are you doing per bodypart, and what kind of rep range does your "trainer" have you doing. Also what time of day do you usually work out, that also will affect the diet a bit. I've probably made this post a lot longer than I should, so I hope that you are still awake. I think we are just about ready to get you started in the direction that you want to go, so just get back to me, and I think you'll be on your way. O.M.G.

My waist is 29 inches.I'm happy to hear about the coffee!!LOL!!! I do work my chest but since my surgery I've avoided it. I need to work it back in with lighter weights. I do cardi 5 days a week 30min. a day. Usually I run but I work on the stair stepper too. I was doing 3 sets of 15. In the summer I'm in the gym at night around 6p.m. It' summer here. As for my body fat the trainer measured me with the fat caliper thing?? It pinches your fat. That's where we came up with the %. I did talk with a guy at the gym tonight that is going to let me work out with him. He's a pretty big guy so hopefully between you and him I'll be a super buff chick soon!!LOL!!! I'm currently fit but not at all defined. Quick question for you?? Have you trained anyone with implants and if so how does it change the chest exercises??? Thanks

makalauna said:
My waist is 29 inches.I'm happy to hear about the coffee!!LOL!!! I do work my chest but since my surgery I've avoided it. I need to work it back in with lighter weights. I do cardi 5 days a week 30min. a day. Usually I run but I work on the stair stepper too. I was doing 3 sets of 15. In the summer I'm in the gym at night around 6p.m. It' summer here. As for my body fat the trainer measured me with the fat caliper thing?? It pinches your fat. That's where we came up with the %. I did talk with a guy at the gym tonight that is going to let me work out with him. He's a pretty big guy so hopefully between you and him I'll be a super buff chick soon!!LOL!!! I'm currently fit but not at all defined. Quick question for you?? Have you trained anyone with implants and if so how does it change the chest exercises??? Thanks
Okay, Makalauna, first let me say that you are probably in good hands working out with the big guy at the gym than me here, simply cause he's there and can actually see and interact with you, while I'm doing a lot of guessing, but that doesn't mean that I will stop helping you if you still wish :) I'd say that 3 sets of fifteen is way off for getting you in the shape that YOU want to be in, it is much more a "cutting" kind of workout, so you've been smarter than the PT all along!!!!!!!!!!!!! I prefer to do many more sets and lower reps than that, and actually if you are working out 5 days a week, I'd have you do a bodypart a day, totally thrash it, then give it a weeks rest. In my own experience, and all the people I've trained, it's the best way to get bigger/stronger. Since you've got a new workout partner, he'll probably have you doing things the way he does, but just to give you an idea of what one of my typical workouts would be for ya, I'll give you a sample back day. First, lat pulldowns to the front, 4 sets of 12 reps. Second, low pully rows, 4 sets of 10 reps. Third, db rows, 4 sets of 8 reps, and Last, rear lat pulldowns, 4 sets of eight reps. It's the lower reps that are gonna give ya the bod that ya want, not the sets of 15!!!!!!!!! Anyway, that's just a sample of what I'd have ya do. I'm shure that you'll do fine with your new training partner too. And yes, I did train a young lady a few years ago who had breast implants. BTW, she had been working out at the gym before the surgery, had the implants, and then returned, so I was with her the whole way so to say. I'll be honest with you, I was a lot more scared and nervous about her starting to work her chest again than she was,LOL. Once the Dr. gave her the green light to start training again, I had her do only one very light chest movement, usually and the end of another body part workout, like back for example, a week, and then we slowly would add light exercises every few weeks, until she built up to working chest by itself again. The most important thing was to use very light weights, and build up to adding more exercises slowly. Also "listen" to your body and don't force it. I remember constantly asking her "does it hurt, does it hurt" when I'd have her work her chest, she would really laugh at me for being so "worried" about her injuring herself after the surgery, but I felt it was part of my "job." Anyway, she finally built up to doing a totally "normal" chest routine, and has been fine ever since. She is, however, out of this gym again, this time cause she's expecting to give birth very soon now, but she's promised to return as soon as she's able. Hope this helped, and feel free to come back to your thread any time you need something and ask me, I really admire you for trying to break the "ewwwwwwwwwwww muscles are like sooooooooo gross" mold, I'm looking foward to your "super buffed girl" transformation, I'm shure you'll be able to do it. Once again, I've probably made this a little longer than I should have, hope I didn't bore you too much, O.M.G.

:)
one man gang said:
Okay, Makalauna, first let me say that you are probably in good hands working out with the big guy at the gym than me here, simply cause he's there and can actually see and interact with you, while I'm doing a lot of guessing, but that doesn't mean that I will stop helping you if you still wish :) I'd say that 3 sets of fifteen is way off for getting you in the shape that YOU want to be in, it is much more a "cutting" kind of workout, so you've been smarter than the PT all along!!!!!!!!!!!!! I prefer to do many more sets and lower reps than that, and actually if you are working out 5 days a week, I'd have you do a bodypart a day, totally thrash it, then give it a weeks rest. In my own experience, and all the people I've trained, it's the best way to get bigger/stronger. Since you've got a new workout partner, he'll probably have you doing things the way he does, but just to give you an idea of what one of my typical workouts would be for ya, I'll give you a sample back day. First, lat pulldowns to the front, 4 sets of 12 reps. Second, low pully rows, 4 sets of 10 reps. Third, db rows, 4 sets of 8 reps, and Last, rear lat pulldowns, 4 sets of eight reps. It's the lower reps that are gonna give ya the bod that ya want, not the sets of 15!!!!!!!!! Anyway, that's just a sample of what I'd have ya do. I'm shure that you'll do fine with your new training partner too. And yes, I did train a young lady a few years ago who had breast implants. BTW, she had been working out at the gym before the surgery, had the implants, and then returned, so I was with her the whole way so to say. I'll be honest with you, I was a lot more scared and nervous about her starting to work her chest again than she was,LOL. Once the Dr. gave her the green light to start training again, I had her do only one very light chest movement, usually and the end of another body part workout, like back for example, a week, and then we slowly would add light exercises every few weeks, until she built up to working chest by itself again. The most important thing was to use very light weights, and build up to adding more exercises slowly. Also "listen" to your body and don't force it. I remember constantly asking her "does it hurt, does it hurt" when I'd have her work her chest, she would really laugh at me for being so "worried" about her injuring herself after the surgery, but I felt it was part of my "job." Anyway, she finally built up to doing a totally "normal" chest routine, and has been fine ever since. She is, however, out of this gym again, this time cause she's expecting to give birth very soon now, but she's promised to return as soon as she's able. Hope this helped, and feel free to come back to your thread any time you need something and ask me, I really admire you for trying to break the "ewwwwwwwwwwww muscles are like sooooooooo gross" mold, I'm looking foward to your "super buffed girl" transformation, I'm shure you'll be able to do it. Once again, I've probably made this a little longer than I should have, hope I didn't bore you too much, O.M.G.

I much appriciate your responce. As for the guy at the gym he has me upping the weight with less reps to build the muscle. Today was my first real night of a full workout with him so I'll keep you posted. I also was in the gym before my surgery and now I'm back with my Dr.'s ok!! I figured working the chest in slowly was a good idea so thanks for the input on that. I am getting on the same routine as him so were working the same body part. Thanks again!!! :)

I have to jump in here....

You sound like you're doing great... And you've certainly come to the right place to find out more.

Your diet isn't bad at all. Maybe too much milk and that banana!

Bananas are great AFTER a workout but I sure wouldn't eat one in the middle of the morning. They have way too much gluciemic impact. You want to keep insulin levels even throughout the day, eating a little fast-burning carbs after a nice glycogen-burning workout.

My 2 cents.

Poolside said:
I have to jump in here....

You sound like you're doing great... And you've certainly come to the right place to find out more.

Your diet isn't bad at all. Maybe too much milk and that banana!

Bananas are great AFTER a workout but I sure wouldn't eat one in the middle of the morning. They have way too much gluciemic impact. You want to keep insulin levels even throughout the day, eating a little fast-burning carbs after a nice glycogen-burning workout.

My 2 cents.

Whats wrong with the milk? Where should I be getting my calcium from?

makalauna said:
:)

I much appriciate your responce. As for the guy at the gym he has me upping the weight with less reps to build the muscle. Today was my first real night of a full workout with him so I'll keep you posted. I also was in the gym before my surgery and now I'm back with my Dr.'s ok!! I figured working the chest in slowly was a good idea so thanks for the input on that. I am getting on the same routine as him so were working the same body part. Thanks again!!! :)

Sounds like you are on your way Makalauna, glad to hear it, shure you'll do fine. Looking forward to following your progress, O.M.G. :coffee: :) LOL.

M -

You just got some awesome advice. Seriously most trainers are not in the business of "building muscle", especially for women. I agree on the carbs. There are many parts of a diet you can manipulate and the first place to start is w/ the carbs. As OMG said, go w/ the lower carbs but make sure you aren't cutting them out too much - do a good refeed at least 1x / week and probably increase the carbs a little on the days you do particularly heavy training, e.g. legs. You don't need the excess to turn into fat, but you also don't want to cut your energy supply short.

As far as the boob job, I'm guessing based on what you are saying, you got "unders"? I did that 4 years ago. If it helps you, I had it done in January and started training for my first bodybuilding competition in April (for an August show). It is VERY weird at first because your body has to accommodate the implants. At first it is tight and then you have to deal w/ the muscle twitches while you are getting used to the tightness during an exercise. The good news is that it becomes "normal" with use. Find the exercises you are comfortable doing and keep doing those, increase the weights as you are comfortable. I would say dumbbell flyes were the weirdest for me to get used to. I'd guess within 2 months you'll be doing fine!

Top Bottom