Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Some Smolov questions!

CitizenKane

If I can sort out some elbow/shoulder problems I will consider the possibility of doing a Smolov cycle in the new year. I just have a question or two about it if anybody can help:

1. Can you do other exercises while doing Smolov? Or is it literally just squatting 4x per week for 16 weeks, no room for bench press or deadlift work at all? If I was to do it I would probably not deadlift much anyway because of the large amount of work done by the posterior chain from low bar squatting as it is, but would it still be ok to bench heavy maybe twice per week on this routine and throw in some upper back work as well? Or would this just be too much on my CNS combined with how hard the squatting is going to be?

2. For the 2 week "switching" period in between the two mesocycles, what exactly are you supposed to be doing here? Anything I've read is quite vague and just says to incorporate explosive lower body work that isn't squatting. I'm guessing lunges, box jumps and so on would be ok, but would it also be ok to throw in some leg pressing or hack squatting with light-moderate weight?

3. (If I can't sort out my elbow/shoulder flexibility problems) would it be ok to do this programme with high-bar, ass to the grass Olympic style squatting? Or is it mainly meant to be used for low-bar hip driven squatting? I imagine doing the same set/rep criteria with Oly squatting would be slightly harder because you're not using as many muscles in the lift, or am I just splitting hairs here?

4. Is the 'Introductory mesocycle' only necessary if you are coming back to training/squatting after a lay off from training? I would prefer to get right into the meat of the routine if possible, seeing as I already know what my 1rm is.

5. Is it feasible to complete this routine successfully without drugs?

1. I am attempting this right now with deads and bench... it probably isnt for most, see my log...

2. I plan on box jumps, alternating jumping pistol squats, lunges and possibly gm's... im not sure leg press is worth much, other that overloading cns... if you pushed the sled hard so it left your feet and then caught it, that would probably work...

3. This would be bad-ass for oly squats... i would love to try it like that some day...

4. Yes

5. Im doing mine drug free... wait a couple months, send me a PM and see if im still alive...

If I can sort out some elbow/shoulder problems I will consider the possibility of doing a Smolov cycle in the new year. I just have a question or two about it if anybody can help:

1. Can you do other exercises while doing Smolov? Or is it literally just squatting 4x per week for 16 weeks, no room for bench press or deadlift work at all? If I was to do it I would probably not deadlift much anyway because of the large amount of work done by the posterior chain from low bar squatting as it is, but would it still be ok to bench heavy maybe twice per week on this routine and throw in some upper back work as well? Or would this just be too much on my CNS combined with how hard the squatting is going to be?

2. For the 2 week "switching" period in between the two mesocycles, what exactly are you supposed to be doing here? Anything I've read is quite vague and just says to incorporate explosive lower body work that isn't squatting. I'm guessing lunges, box jumps and so on would be ok, but would it also be ok to throw in some leg pressing or hack squatting with light-moderate weight?

3. (If I can't sort out my elbow/shoulder flexibility problems) would it be ok to do this programme with high-bar, ass to the grass Olympic style squatting? Or is it mainly meant to be used for low-bar hip driven squatting? I imagine doing the same set/rep criteria with Oly squatting would be slightly harder because you're not using as many muscles in the lift, or am I just splitting hairs here?

4. Is the 'Introductory mesocycle' only necessary if you are coming back to training/squatting after a lay off from training? I would prefer to get right into the meat of the routine if possible, seeing as I already know what my 1rm is.

5. Is it feasible to complete this routine successfully without drugs?

1. I would possibly add one other exercise per day that does not tax your low back. Like bench on Monday, chins on Wednesday, OHP on Friday, db rows on Saturday, etc

2. For the switching period I'd do some speed squats off of a box. 50% of your 1RM for 8-10 doubles would work. Plyos would work too, but tbh I have no experience with them.

3. High bar squatting would work. If going that route I'd invest in some oly shoes. They would probably help greatly.

4. If your conditioning is up to par and you know your true 1Rm have at it.

5. Yes, if your recovery and diet is spot on 100%.

I've given this program a lot of thought. The full twelve week cycle looks fucking brutal, but I know it'd be worth it in the end if it didn't kill me. With that said, look into the smolov jr. You could easily stretch the four weeks into six or so without committing to the who 12 week program. This is what i intend on doing next month.

Whatever you do good luck!

Pretty sure the smolov squat protocol was designed for "enhanced" lifter's.

Everyone is different though and everyone's recovery abilities vary.

I wouldn't attempt it without gear, but I know my body and that cycle would fucking fry my ass without some recovery aid.

Then you have guy's regardless of size and current level of development that can do it natural.

You won't know till you try it.

I've done it. The above posters' comments are correct. It is likely not a routine for natural non-elite athletes. That does not mean that you shouldn't try! My one suggestion is to set your 1rm lower than it really is. You can always add weight if you are having a really good workout.

Top Bottom