Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Shoulder Exercises

nzafi

Just curious what shoulder exercises you guys do/recommend...... I dislocated my right shoulder two days ago....so I am unsure when I will begin working out again....luckily it isnt bad, just swollen.......I have had prior problems with my shoulder and was in physical therapy shortly for it....but that was a couple years ago.....thanks

I love behind the neck press and dumb bell military press.

These will pound your front and side delts but mostly neglect your rear delts. I think cleans and lat flies are the best way to work those.

behind the neck press could be disastrous for an already loose shoulder joint so i would suggest you steer clear of that. Ive had dislocating shoulders and knees since junior high so im feeling your pain. Unfortunately i never had rehab i just kinda let it heal on its own:rolleyes:
You need to know what type of dislocation you had so you know inthe future what type of movements to stay away from. For instance, i can not do any lifts where my arm goes backwards such as dymbel flyes - no way id tear my arm right out of the socket LOL id suggest you start by talking to your doctor (hopefully its a ORTHOPEDIST or something)

I used to be a tennis player/coach.....i was in physical therapy for mainly tendinitis....nothin to serious, i used to just completely over work my shoulders when i was younger and would never stretch......I dislocated my shoulder by doing behind the neck shoulder press. I normally use dumbbells but chose to use barbell....when i went to hook the weight i missed the hook and the barbell went back pulling my arm.....i was still only the weight trying to pull it forward, someone came over quickly and grabbed the weight, but when I released the weight i fell my shoulder pop out, and when i pull my arm forward it popped right back in luckily........Shoulder doesnt feel swollen, but my joint does hurt with certan movements....brushing my teeth, raising my arm above my head, etc irritates my shoulder......it is feeling better though and I am hoping to get back to lifting asap....as of right now I am just trying to rest my shoulder and use it as little as possible

did you go to the doctor? i know it went right back into place but...you DEFINITELY need to see a doc have them check you out as well as have a xray to chedck for damage there , IMO. that way you can find out what type of dislocation it was.
I would say that you need to rest the arm for at least 3-4 weeks but consult a physician on this. Please do not attempt any lifting until you talk to a doctor..thats just my 2 cents based on my own experience

First things first, I would see a doctor.

After that I would do something like this:

BB shoulder press 3 sets 10-8 reps (be very easy of the start, the last thing you want is to injure yourself. Also I would stick to BB initially, because wrestling with dumbells trying to get them up to your shoulders may injure them again)

One- arm DB laterals 2 sets 10-12

Bent over DB laterals 2 sets 10-12

But I really can't emphasize enough of how important it is too take it easy at first.... No drop sets, no supersets, no failure, no extreme poundages, etc.

Good luck with the rehab.

personally I hate seeing doctors.....as for right now I am just trying to rest my shoulder and not do anything strenuous......my shoulder is starting to feel better, but I am unsure how long I will be out for. I was hoping only 2 weeks.

nzafi said:
personally I hate seeing doctors.....as for right now I am just trying to rest my shoulder and not do anything strenuous......my shoulder is starting to feel better, but I am unsure how long I will be out for. I was hoping only 2 weeks.

that is a pretty dumb statement. So basically you would risk your future health cause you don't want to see a doctor. And you want to be better in two weeks. Ligaments and tendons don't heal that quickly. the don't have a normal supply of blood like muscles do, they take much longer sometimes never if the tendons is torn or ligamnet is ripped

Tiervexx said:
I love behind the neck press and dumb bell military press.

These will pound your front and side delts but mostly neglect your rear delts. I think cleans and lat flies are the best way to work those.

Im calling you out Tiervexx bc this is the worst advice you could possibly give someone who has just sutained a major shoulder injury. Please think before you write bc some people MAY actually take you seriosuly. I don't know why though?......

nzafi - see a doctor immediately unless you want to live the rest of your life in a detrimental state. After all you are human and your body is made to fail.

also
Sounds tome like you re-separated your shoulder. If you dislocated it you would not be able to do a damn thing and you WOULD know. Trust me. Get intoasolid therapy program and stick toit. When you complete the therapy program add it into a routine when you are ready as active recovery. Your injury will always be apparant if you do not take care of it.

Top Bottom