Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

personal trainer certification

runner

i have a buddy who wants to get into the field and he was wondering which certifications (since there are so many) would be the most worthwhile? are any of them much more respected than others?

I think THEE most recognized is the NSCA-CFT (or the CSCS). Next maybe ISSA or ACE. I have an ISSA cert. A side note is that the ISSA is a full course (I think ACE and most others are also) while the NSCA is just an exam, so if you already know your shit, go with just an exam, if you don't then a full course might be better. Oh, and I think everything from NSCA requires a degree (don't quote me on that).

The NSCA-CPT does not require a college degree. The CSCS does. The MOST respected would be ACSM(American College of Sports Medicine). NSCA is next. ACE is usually accepted in most gym, although Im not so certain as to why. The difference in difficulty from the ACE to the NSCA is night & day.

I will say though, that if you are just trying to get a job at Bally's, to either just go down & apply w/o bothering with the certification, or simply go with the easiest one that they will accept if they do require them(depends on the club). Alot of Bally's will hire you if you look the part w/o the certificate. They say that you have to agree to aquire one after 6 weeks, but that is just something they say. If you are a good trainer, and can work the system that Bally's has in place, then they will keep you on reguardless. They will probably never even ask you for the certificate. You will have your hands full enough trying to get clients to worry about some stupid degree anyhow. If you dont bust ass to get clients at Bally's, you make zero money....litterally.

Good responses...ACSM or NSCA. Of course, I'm partial to the NSCA. :D Location is a factor. In some local, smaller establishments, any certification might work. In a business seeking credentials and educated professionals, ACSM or NSCA is your best bet.

ACSM is probably the most respected and requires you to have a four year degree I believe. ACE probably certifies more trainers than anyone else and is a home study course. Most gyms (at least the ones that allow outside trainers) will allow you to train clients if you have ACE AND professional liability insurance (proof of coverage) and also list them on your insurance as well. Most gyms that hire trainers will accept ACE or most of the others. Pretty much anyone will take ACSM. I think the reason most gyms take ACE is because they certify so many trainers so it is recognized by sheer numbers, not that it is great.

Most clients are only concerned at most if you are actually certified and insured and many don't even care about that. In the end though, it only matters with how good a trainer you are and how well you work with clients regardless of certificates.

NorCalBdyBldr said:

. In the end though, it only matters with how good a trainer you are and how well you work with clients regardless of certificates.

Right. If you look the part, you'd be surprised(if gym policy allows) how many gyms will hire you simply based on that. If you are good in dealing with people, then you pretty much have what it takes to start in the field..ergo, a job, a place to train(same thing), and a good personality. In my opinion those are more important than certifications. You can have an ACSM certification, but be a terrible people person, and you will go nowhere. Like you said, if you look like Zane in his prime, who that is out of shape & needs trainied is going to question your credentials. I'd think they's feel stupid, don't you? You'll find after time, that alot of the field has to do with just people needing someone to be their friend. Someone to talk to. Before long you'll feel like a bartender/shrink with alot of your clients. That's all they want(alot of them). Again, if you can handle that, you're all set.

I have been a trainer for 12 years and was ACE certified for most of it. It was a pain in the ass to keep up and expensive as well. I went with NESTA since it is non-expiring. As long as you know your shit and look the part and can get insurance who gives a shit. None of my clients do.

Quad

Most certifications suck!! They are multiple choice exams or weekend seminars that you are almost guaranteed to pass unless your I.Q. is smaller than your shoe size.

I have several of the so called "top" certifications and very few teach pratical real training, each has their strong & weakpoints

NSCA-CSCS: requires a 4 year exercise related degree, has written and practical (video) exam. Goes over a lot of good info and techniques for compound & Olympic lifts. Text wriiten by top exercise scientists.

Only draw back, it works best in athletic setting, not commercial fitness - no sales info & most of all no guidelines for pratcial physical assessment of capabilities

ACSM HFI: again very scientific, some practical assessment but mosstly cardiovascular. Almost NO information on strength training except that its good for you. Great certification if working in cardiac rehab. Has tough written & practical exam.

NASM CPT or PES - probably the best! very scientific, very structured, lots of pratical info & assessment techniques.

written & practical exams, only draw back is expensive ($500+) and depending where you live you may have to travel to the exam or use the internet (but net is even more $)

CHEK institute: Probably the most advanced and cutting edge certification. Requires extensive study and knowledge of anatomy and physics

Getting a chek certification is like having a PhD compared to a High school diploma

Draw backs: lots of pre-requisite courses, expensive, travel and certification takes 2 - 5 years to complete - BUT well worth it!!!

USAW sports performance coach - brand new!!, I am taking it in Sept. Supposedly teaches all olympic lifts, plyos, accessory strength exercises etc. This from USA weight lifting federation, the one's who actually train our Olympians

The rest of the certs ALL are shit!!! - friggin' multiple choice tests, you can pass by dumb luck!!! most have no national criteria or ranking. Your score is compared only to the dopes in the room with you. Take the exam with a bunch of idiots and you get the highest score!!!

Hey George how about an ANABOLIC certification???

Last edited:
Top Bottom