Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

personal trainer certification

supreme said:
Most certifications suck!! They are multiple choice exams or weekend seminars that you are almost guaranteed to pass unless your I.Q. is smaller than your shoe size.

I have several of the so called "top" certifications and very few teach pratical real training, each has their strong & weakpoints

NSCA-CSCS: requires a 4 year exercise related degree, has written and practical (video) exam. Goes over a lot of good info and techniques for compound & Olympic lifts. Text wriiten by top exercise scientists.

Only draw back, it works best in athletic setting, not commercial fitness - no sales info & most of all no guidelines for pratcial physical assessment of capabilities

ACSM HFI: again very scientific, some practical assessment but mosstly cardiovascular. Almost NO information on strength training except that its good for you. Great certification if working in cardiac rehab. Has tough written & practical exam.

NASM CPT or PES - probably the best! very scientific, very structured, lots of pratical info & assessment techniques.

written & practical exams, only draw back is expensive ($500+) and depending where you live you may have to travel to the exam or use the internet (but net is even more $)

CHEK institute: Probably the most advanced and cutting edge certification. Requires extensive study and knowledge of anatomy and physics

Getting a chek certification is like having a PhD compared to a High school diploma

Draw backs: lots of pre-requisite courses, expensive, travel and certification takes 2 - 5 years to complete - BUT well worth it!!!

USAW sports performance coach - brand new!!, I am taking it in Sept. Supposedly teaches all olympic lifts, plyos, accessory strength exercises etc. This from USA weight lifting federation, the one's who actually train our Olympians

The rest of the certs ALL are shit!!! - friggin' multiple choice tests, you can pass by dumb luck!!! most have no national criteria or ranking. Your score is compared only to the dopes in the room with you. Take the exam with a bunch of idiots and you get the highest score!!!

Hey George how about an ANABOLIC certification???

good answer, thanks for this. i'm currently working on the NSCA CSCS and i'll also be getting the USAW. CHEK institute sounds interesting though, if i want to expand this i may look into that direction. i looked into the ACSM too but looked like more of a medically oriented cert's to me. thanks for the help.

40butpumpin said:

good answer, thanks for this. i'm currently working on the NSCA CSCS and i'll also be getting the USAW. i looked into the ACSM too but looked like more of a medically oriented cert's to me. thanks for the help.

Those are the two I have. USAW Club Coach to be exact. I would like to get the USAW sports performance coach cert. if I ever get the chance. And you're absolutely correct, ACSM is too clinically based for what I'm interested in.

Most people are not really concerned about where you got your certification, just that your certified. Like Quad said, as long as you know your stuff and look the part people will give you business. Besides most people that are personal trainers look like they haven't touched a weight or do not look like they've set fitness goals for themselves. If I were new to fitness, I would rather learn from someone that looks the part and is not certified than someone that doesn't look the part and is certified. If your both certified and look the part, then your good to go. Try this website for certification.....just remember, it's most important that your certified, in most cases not where.

www.aftacertification.com

I agree for the most part that the certification has little to do with how successful a trainer can become. However, if this is a chosen career field and/or a primary source of income, I wouldn't be able to find a job worth applying for if it didn't ask for NSCA or ACSM certification.

If you're that serious about personal training, get one of those certifications. I've seen jobs in the upwards of $70 K per year and full benefits. On there job description, I can assure you that it asks for NSCA or ACSM certification. On the other hand, if this is at the local health club in a hometown, such a certification would not be necessary. It's really up to the individual and how far they want to take it.

I curious about opinions on the CHEK cert. There used to be (still is?) an email list called "weights2" and I was on this, along with Paul Chek and several others. If anyone has heard of Mel Schiff (sp?), he was on there also. ANYWAY There was a debate with Paul and some of the other members and no one sided with Paul. Until someone named something like "Mike Johnson" suddenly started posting agreeing with Paul. So what? The list admin checked and there was no "Mike Johnson" registered and "Mike"s email headed stated that he was in the exact same city as Paul. Hmmm. Plus I read some articles of his and he makes me wonder a little.

I can assure Paul Chek is no bullshit!, he is controversial because he is cutting edge. Attend 1 seminar or watch one of his video courses, you will agree!

The stuff he does is always backed by research, both peer reviewed and empirical

Mel Siff, was also controversial and went against the grain. Unfortunatell Dr. Siff passed away recently.

Chek will teach you things you never new about exercise!

Top Bottom