Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My Experience training w/ Frank Zane in CA....

JKurz1 said:
I just cant fathom the fact that Zane doesnt deadlift...........maybe it's overrated.....
I'm guessing that he probably did them in his younger days, but he's alot older now and probably can do without the added stress on the lower back region.

DieHarder said:
i never liked pullovers on a bench, but god damn it gyms need to bring back the nautilus pull over machine, that shit would burn up ur lats and serratus like no other
DH, I have a Nautilus Super Pullover in my home gym. I bought it from a guy for $400.00. Man, it's argubly the best "machine" ever made for the Lats. Chins, Old School T-Bar Rows, Nautilus Pullovers & Deadlifts are all you need to build an AWESOME back.

Been away for a few days,...Great post Punch!! Thanks for sharing!! Sounds like a killer back & ab routine, especially with the stressing of the eccentric.

So,...what do ya do for leg & chest day?

I read this thread yesterday, then went and did 2 sets of incline dumbell presses with about 60% of what I normally lift. I went slow and steady, about 8 secs on the lift and neg. I felt the burn the rest of the day after that, and am feeling it right now! Punch, did FZ say if this technique was good for bulking, or endurance, or what? Tomorrow i'll try it with shoulders (instead of my norm routine), just to see how intense it feels.

DC does the negatives. It gives a nice burn, a pretty descent pump, and gets you sore as hell. As for causing extra growth, not sure about that. I mean, if it made a huge difference, everyone would be doing it.

Yes Frank did deads back in the day, I used to when I played football, but to be perfectly honest they dont fit into my workout. I used to love doing them, but at this point whatever Im doing is working for me. For myself, between SLDL, Squats and shrugs Im replicating deads anyway.

As for GROWTH using the the dumbell chest press routine as I wrote earlier, it is and has been working, very well I might add. You may have to take a step or 2 back. But, think of it this way, if you could do 2-3 sets of these w/ say the 80's...you go up 5lbs a side, it shouldnt be treated any different then any other movement where you steadily go up after a certain amt of reps and sets are achieved.

Keep in mind also, that Im not nor did Frank say this form( style ) need be done ALL the time. Its what works for you.. I will do these slow, concentrated movements for 3-4 weeks then have a week of low reps higher weight to shake things up a bit. TIME UNDER TENSION greatly strengthens your stabilizer muscles, the stronger your stabilizers the more weight you can handle, safely. My muscles are more dense and striated than ever before. I am proof that this works. Peace.

Here is Leg day which I did yesterday:

Squats ( I DO NOT GO SLOW ON THESE, NORMAL TEMPO )

warmup: 135/ 15 reps
1st set: 225/ 15 reps
2nd set: 275/ 12 reps
3rd set: 315 / 10 reps
4th set: 225/ 20 reps ( at this point Im ready to pass out )

Leg press ( THESE I DO VERY SLOW ON POS AND NEG )

1st set: 5 plates a side
2nd set: 7 plates a side
3rd set: 9 plates a side all 10 reps( knees to chest on each rep, no partial bulshit)

Leg ext ( NORMAL TEMPO ON THE WAY UP, DONT LOCK OUT, 4-6 SEC NEG )
I have a cybex plate loaded machine,

1st set: 2 plates 12 reps
2nd set: 3 plates 10 reps
3rd set: 4 plates ( whatever I can do ) in some cases will drop set on this

SLDL( FOR NOW THIS IS MY ONLY HAM MOVEMENT, WAITING FOR A NEW LEG CURL MACHINe) I do these on a platform:

1st set: 1 plate a side 10 reps
2nd set: 45's plus 10's a side 10-12 reps
3rd set: 45's plus 25's a side 10 reps

If I have anything left I may do dbl lunges..But for the most part thats it.

Also if Im pressed for time I will superset Leg presses and Squats, w/ less wieght of course.

Sorry for clogging on your board bro, but I find this fasinating...I could sit at Venice Beach and watch those dudes train for hours...always come away with something new and it helps relieve the stagnacity that training can bring.....can I ask one more? Delt training. I find this bp to be one that is VERY easily overtrained. Wondering how he trained delts and how your routine incorporates his theories. Much K...

no problem at all man.... I am here to share my experience with everyone.

I am convinced that shoulders are not only the easiest to overtrain but to injur as well. I really prefer to do neither of those, so all of my shoulder movements are slow and controlled. Bottom line is if your swinging or cheating on ANY shoulder movements the wieght is too heavy period.

Presses: I vary these greatly..I will use dbels as an example because thats what Frank and I did. Every third workout I do behind the necks.

Start w/ 50's warmup 15 reps normal tempo.

1st set: 60's 10 reps press them up slowly and approx 3/4 way down turn wrists in( like a hammer position and as I mentioned for dbel chest presses) and lower to a comfortable position.

2nd set: 70's
3rd set 80's as many as I can
4th set back to the 50's/60's for 15 reps( your shoulders should be ready to fall off at this point)

Lateral Raises:

We did these 1 arm at a time w/ non lifting arm grabbing on to a squat rack. I leaned so that my body was at an angle. On these I use normal tempo up, at the top I dont lock out, but lower the wieght very slowly.

3 sets/ 10 reps w/ wieght ranging from 25's to 35's. Any heavier for me, Im swinging and the excersize is useless.
** Every other week I will do one arm laterals sitting on an incline bench to one side. Slightly higher than 45 degrees. I will brace my non working arm around the bench or just keep it to my side. Then, using a poundage where you could barely get out 10 reps at best. raise the dumbell slightly past shoulder level and lower slowly . The beuty of this is that you cant cheat, its a very intense burn,

Bent over Lateral raises:

Frank was actuall impressed that I did these as this is often a neglected bodypart. The body is 3 dimensional, train it as such.( I like that line)

3 sets of 10

we did this strict, dont round your back, slight bend in knees. Use a weight whereby your elbows are not completely bent. raise the dumbles as if you were going to throw them in back of you and at the top of the movement squeeze as if you were trying to crush a walnut between your shoulder blades.

Thats it!!

More questions shoot away bro. Peace

awesome post, thanks for sharing. i would love to be able to go train with one of the old school guys I grew up worshipping

Top Bottom