Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

increasing weight each set when lifting

ian gp

how much weight do you think is convenient to add on each set of bench guys? a quantity that won't increase a risk of injury or something like that, I'm currently at 260 and I feel I can bench more but I had injuries on my elbows and shoulders in the past so I want to go slow.

All I do is find the proper weight where I reach absolute failure in the desired rep range. If I am aiming for 8-12 reps I want to be in that range when I cannot perform another rep. If I am under or over then I adjust the weight. This is where tracking your workouts really helps. I use an app on my iphone called Strong.

If you have had injuries like you said then be aware of how you feel and recover. There is going to be no set number but you have the right idea of increasing slowly.

Great question. It's hard to give you an answer though because it's very individual. You need to by how you feel. It's always better to air on the side of caution and add a little bit less weight to the bar then risk getting an injury.

If you are currently benching 260 and feel that you can bench more then that, I would make small increases. Try 270 your next workout. If that feels good, stick with that weight for a few weeks and then try 280. And so on.

Also make sure to warm up really well before trying a new max. Have a spotter close by as well.

Top Bottom