Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help my calves are small

FASTECLIPSE

i need some suggestions on a good calf workout.. mine seem to not want to grow.. how many times a week is enough and how many times a week is to much..

BIGGGG CALVES

Dude,

Calves are probably the bitchiest of bitches!!!! They never seem to grow... I would however recommend you don't do them like 2-3 times a week... Once a week max... Never more than that... Also, do standing calf raises, donkey calf raises and seated calf raises... As heavy as possible... You may wanna begin your leg day with calves rather than quads or even do calves on another day to give them the attention they deserve!!!

A tip... Change the way you walk... Walk on your tip-toes around the house... On your way to the workout... In the gym... In fact, one calf exercise that people don't ever do and find funny, is walking around the gym on tip-toes with a heavy barbell across your back... I've done this, at the cost of people laughing at me, and seen fantastic results!!!

Next to the muscles in the jaw, calves are the most dense muscles in the body. I do calves twice a week for that reason. Calves also seem to be more dependent on genetics in terms of how much they respond to resistance training. If you have naturally small calves, it's extremely difficult to make them grow.

to increase lower leg size you should do standing and seated calf raises which hits them from two different angles. also add toes in and toes out for a variety. and the most important thing that most people leave out when trying to build their lower legs is building the front of their lower legs. toe raises, toe pulls(hook the single handle on the cable machine over your toe, sit back and keep pulling until you feel the burn, it's easy)

oh, by the way, it is safe to work them whenever the hell you feel like it, they're kind of like your abs, you can't overtrain them.

The calves are used to supporting a lot of weight, think about it , when you walk, every time you take a step one calve is supporting your bodyweight. If you weigh 200 lbs, then that calf is bearing the weight. Thats PER calf, so we are talking 400 lbs between the two. So if you are using 300 lbs on standing calf raises, that simply wont cut it. Like Arnold , Reg Park, Mentzer and the other calf monsters, you need to use HEAVY weight . Arnold did up to 1000 lbs, Park and Mentzer likewise went very heavy. Work up to it over time, I do one legged calf raises on the standing calf machine with the entire weight stack, rep out and sometimes continue on with forced reps by using both legs.

There are some good calf routines on t-mag.com, they blasted my formerly known as twig calves.....check them out, they incorporate tempo and mad sets.....good luck!!

Ryan

first, if youre going to read routines on training calves, forget mike matarazzo - big calves, yes, but the result of intensity and hard training, no. in fact i even read a quote where he said it was solely genetic, and he doesnt train them.

arnold: he said that big calves are largely composed of very dense muscle fibers, and in order to shock these dense fibers into growth, you need to train extremely heavy and consistently, and many sets to hammer them good. in other words, doing what you would do to shock your bis once a month, or even less frequenly, would be what you would do for calves weekly. also, arnold said your calves are naturally holding your body weight (in his case, around 250 lbs + offseason). therefore they are used to handling heavy weights, so that is why extremely heavy weights are need. they will be the hardest, most intense, and probably most stubborn muscle to grow, but it will be well worth it in the end.

Top Bottom