Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do you arch your back when doing close grip bench?

sk*

Do you try to sustain correct powerlifting bench format when doing tricep work on bench? I would think no? Just asking ...

-sk

yes, i train close-grip, boards, etc as close as i can to my competition form

Reason I asked, is cause shouldn't you do extra work just to strengthen the triceps? Shouldn't the tricep work be done in a bodybuilding manner?

Guess I was off here, i'll use proper pl bench form on close grips. :)

-sk

sk* said:
Reason I asked, is cause shouldn't you do extra work just to strengthen the triceps? Shouldn't the tricep work be done in a bodybuilding manner?

Guess I was off here, i'll use proper pl bench form on close grips. :)

-sk

im going to assume you plant to compete in bench contests sometime.

you dont want to just strengthen a muscle, that's not good enough (unless it's an injury issue). you want to strengthen it to help with that portion of your lift (lockouts, boards, etc). a 2 board is a lot different than rack lockouts, though they both work the triceps.

btw, do you post your workouts anywhere? i'd be interested in your progress :)

In a competition will you not want your triceps to be strong in a plane where back is arched, etc...? Train like you compete. As for my training, after I do my compound moves the way I would in a comp, I do isolation work (a.k.a. bodybuilder style), so if my tris aren't fried from a 4 board close grip, they certainly will be after that.

Thanks guys, makes sence.

Jeremys, i'll be starting WSB within a few days. The last 2weeks, I have just been doing some of the moves in WSB to get ready for it. :)

Regarding WSB, ...

I noticed the suggested way to workout is 4days out of the 7 in a week. I feel like my recovery is much better than this, would you guys suggest something a little different?

Since i've been maxing out on my lifts lately, I notice I recover extremely fast ... with bodybuilding style 6-8 reps my recovery is much much slower. This is why I want to be hitting some of the compound movements more than once a week on ME.

I can easilly recover from maxing out on deads, squats, GM's, and bench in just 1-2days. By recover I mean all soreness goes away (I know this isn't necessarily a sign of recovery) but when I come back to the gym I keep setting PR's.

-sk

Top Bottom