Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

back squats vs front squats?

mlsnet43

Is there any difference between front and back squats? How will either help you differently?

Do the back squats work your back more...or what?

yes, back squats put more pressure on the spine while front squats work the quads more. thus, to improve your back squats, you'd have to strengthen your back and abs. with front squats the tricky part is holding the bar without it rolling into your neck and blacking you out :p

Also with front squats you need to add something to work your posterior chain.

Many say that front squats and Zercher squats require more work from your core than back squats. I've often found than front squats combined with good mornings makes a fine combination.

not sure why you want to do pullups for lats/bi's. but like blut said, front squats with good mornings is a good combo. some may suggest SLDLs in place of the GMs but i personally prefer the latter.

Just do back squats as deep as you can go. Go down until your hamstrings make solid contact with you calves and then come back. Use a medium to narrow stance and keep your back reasonably upright. You get a good balance through your quads and posterior chain and your quads will get a lot of work.

I strongly recommend this approach. Squat at least twice a week. Don't go to failure and aim to keep adding weight to the bar. What does your current training look like?

If you do an olympic back squat (bar placed high, narrow-moderate stance, ass to the floor) you'll get a lot of quad work plus the posterior chain.

I don't think very wide stance squats and box squats are a particularly good movement for functional quad strength, and (this is just my opinion) the ultra-wide stance glorified good morning, also known as the modern day PL-Squat is very taxing to the posterior chain, but does nothing for the quads and the only thing it has carry-over to is being a good ultra wide squatter.

I think your original question is confusion about the terms 'back' and 'front' squat.....stop thinking bodyparts, it is all about movments. Back and front just refers to bar placement during the lift....racked across the front or on the traps.

Everyone was pretty much dead on about what lift stresses what.

blut wump said:
Just do back squats as deep as you can go. Go down until your hamstrings make solid contact with you calves and then come back. Use a medium to narrow stance and keep your back reasonably upright. You get a good balance through your quads and posterior chain and your quads will get a lot of work.

I strongly recommend this approach. Squat at least twice a week. Don't go to failure and aim to keep adding weight to the bar. What does your current training look like?

You must have been posting as I was because I missed this, lol....but this is the best advice you've gotten in this whole thread, mlsnet, I'd follow it if I were in your shoes.

Top Bottom