Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5x5 For the Navy

guy0203

Hey folks, I just need a little advice.

Im about 6'2 225-230 and 19% body fat. (according to the old navy tape measure)

for a while i was way bigger but i worked my way down. I'm in acceptable shape IMO but i would still like to look better and prepare my self for basic training in the navy. I recently heard of the Strong lifts 5x5 plan and i wanted to try it but i'm not sure if its for me because i don't actually want to get BIG.

While I wouldn't mind getting big I can't have it if it puts inches on my waist (without increasing my neck proportionally) and alters my body fat reading.

Any advice? And sorry if i was a bit wordy...

I'm a member of a Navy program at my school. A real program, the Navy does pay my checks.

I have gotten taped and chocked a couple of times because I am usually 15 lbs. over weight. I am 5'9 200 lb s. and even though I can pass all the PT requirements, including the 11 min. mile and a half they still take my measurements.

Its a touch situation, I just make sure I can pass the PFA's and senior chief lets it go because he knows I'm just a big dude. As opposed to the fat out of shape kid.

I'm not trying to brag, all I am saying is that lifting big and US Military physical fitness levels are polar opposites in my book. Luckily I am not actually enlisted so they are not very strict with me. For you I would suggest trying out the 5x5, you will only put on muscle and I think as long as you can pass the PT tests they wont be too hard on your body measurements because it will be evident you just hit the weights.

IMO the SL 5x5 is gonna get you too big for any military branch. They dont want big muscular guys, they want more of an endurance type. So in regards to that I would suggest a typical 3x10-3x12 workout of all compound lifts for you.
Dont waste your time with any isolation work, just concentrate on compound excersizes and whole body type workouts. That will get you right where you need to be.
Good luck.

start doing endurance work now. L.S.D. long slow distance. run 50 minutes EOD at a slow pace. the idea is to keep the heart rate elevated for an extended amount of time which will burn away fat and yes muscle. but since you are gonna be in the navy you need not worry about muscle, its the navy!! you need to be able to swim and run. not bench 300 pounds! i worked out on a navy base last weekend and they were all weak, the most i saw someone bench was 155 pounds.. i went on there and threw on 300 and they looked at me like i was some kind of freak.

Yeah same thing in the Army bro. Big muscles dont mean shit in the field. Too expensive biologicaly and caloricaly to maintain and those big muscles use up too much oxygen. For the military its strictly endurance. Dont buy into that shit you see on TV about these big muscular dudes in the SF. It just aint so bro! They all look more like triatheletes.

Unless you're going SpecWar just get your body fat in check. Navy boot camp is a joke when it comes to PT, you can fast walk the 1.5 mile run and still pass it.

11 mins for a mile and a half run?? Damn, I used to get 9 minutes 30 seconds, should've joined the navy it would've been a breeze! Everything these guys are saying is bang on. The military want people with a lot of endurance, Marines are usually stronger in the upper body area because of all the climbing (ropes and rock faces) they do (also weights was part of their training programme last I checked), if you can do three sets of 15 push ups in two minutes that's all the upper body you need. Do what Steve said and work on your running push ups and sit ups.

Top Bottom