Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Working Shadow's Project, Appreciate Critiques

Phaedra

Hello All,

First of all, I am deeply impressed with how informative, scientific and inspiring this forum is. I’ve lurked and cruised for several weeks, assimilating work-out and nutrition tips, and incorporated these into my own individual goals and time lines. Thank you for this wealth!

Everybody is different and responds uniquely. However, after perusing details of Shadow’s 12-week Project, I’ve decided that this is the one that challenges me both mentally and physically. I am now in the first week. Today was Shoulders. It’s very exciting!!!

What I would hope to achieve here is some critique on my nutrition plan for my specific goals. A little background though. I’ve lifted on and off for 15 years, very athletic. Played a lot of tennis, ran track (400m) in High School. I started lifting heavy about five years ago – on an 8-week program a friend read in (I think…) Muscle & Fitness mag. It was the first time I ever trained on weight percentages from a 1 max rep. Very curious things happened to my buttocks…

At any rate, I haven’t been as diligent as I could have been in the ensuing years. And, so, voila, here I am.

Some stats: My body type is Mesomorph with a tad of Ecto (small joints). My body fat is dispersed evenly. Measurements from last Sunday (9/18)

Ht: 5.6”
Wt: 147
Calves – 13 ½”
Quads – 16.5”
Upper Thigh – 22 ¾”
Hips – 39”
Waist – 30”
Upper Chest – 35”
Chest – 38 ½”
Bicep – 13 ½”
Wrist – 6”

As you can visualize from these stats, I’m not svelte by any stretch of the imagination. A fifteen pound gain. Although I haven’t had my body fat tested, I’m sure I’m well over 25%.

I started training seriously again about four weeks ago, on a four-day split (before discovering Shadow’s program). Cardio was biking or running 3x week / 30-40 minutes. Two weeks ago I began eating 6 meals a day, plus a Whey Protein drink (I don’t eat chicken or red meat). Around 1800 cals average / day. Starchy carbs in AM until my fourth meal, then tuna or tofu for protein. I have a slight dairy intolerance.

These are my goals:
1. To refine my diet to cut body fat while maintaining endurance.
2. My weight goal is 135# by Dec 1 @ 17-18% body fat.
3. Increase weight on my overall lifts, especially squats and bench.
4. Increase endurance and speed on HITT sprints.

I believe Shadow’s diet for the woman he was training was very specific to her. So I’m having a heck of a time trying to tweak it for my needs and I’m not quite sure how to accomplish this. There is a plethora of info on calorie cycling, carb refeeds, Keto, carb cycling, etc. With the exception of dairy, I tolerate most foods. Get my fats from flax meal / flax oil, olive oil. Protein from tofu, soy, tuna or whey powder. Carbs from oats, sweet potatoes, veggies. I don’t eat sweets, white flour, white rice, sugars or alcohol. I can feel the muscle under all this fat. It just isn’t mobilizing as quickly as it used to :sheepish grin: I need to lean out and tighten up.

Any suggestions, insights, criticisms are greatly appreciated! I'm a hard worker, very disciplined, not afraid of muscle or steel, and seeking my personal best.

Thank you for your attention and I look forward to your replys.

Hi, I'm doing Shaddow's workout project as well. I think most of the ladies here will ask for a sample diet,what is your normal diet. If you could send it in that would be a great help. Also if you have been reading the posts here you know about fitday.com,I highly recommend it.

At this point - I'd keep it simple. You can follow the meal plan if you'd like - but you don't have to to see results. Just keep the cheat meals to a minimum. Use a free tracking site like www.fitday.com & aim for a 40/30/30 split of protein/carb/fat and keep the cals range between 10x & 12x your current weight. Try keeping a log recording all your food so we can make alternate suggestions/comments.

the "specific" diet you mentioned is applicable for ANYONE who is beginning the program??

It works....for everyone who has tried it.

Stick to that diet for 6-8 weeks and then we can change it if need be.

GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS!!!

The Shadow said:
the "specific" diet you mentioned is applicable for ANYONE who is beginning the program??

It does work....well :)

I didn't stick with the entire program (I wish I did), but in the months I did, I had good results.

Stick with it & you will be more than happy with the results :)

The Shadow said:

Well, Hello to the Shadow Man himself. Thank you for this great program.
Question on diet... If I calculate my daily calories given the 10, 11, 12 range
145 x 10 = 1450
145 x 11 = 1595
145 x 12 = 1740

Which one do I use? And, do I recalculate as weight decreases or stay consistent with, say, 145 x 10 daily input? (or 11, or 12?)

Also, one last question on exercises. This past week it was impossible at times to superset machines and DBs....gyms lines and such. For instance, on Shoulders you have a superset of Shrugs & Reverse Pec Dec. I had to substitute RPD for Bent Side Laterals. Where machines aren't possible can I substitute a DB move?

And, last one :) On HITT am Cardio. My schedule is such that I have to get all my workout finished in the am, so I can't split cardio / weights during the day. And HITT (on empty stomach) Mon & Fri and then lifting directly after really wipes me out as far as energy. How can I modify this to maintain the benefits without wrecking your schedule? Or do I have to just suck it up?

BTW - those supersets on abs are killer!!

Thanks for your encouragement!

momsgettinfit said:
Hi, I'm doing Shaddow's workout project as well. I think most of the ladies here will ask for a sample diet,what is your normal diet. If you could send it in that would be a great help. Also if you have been reading the posts here you know about fitday.com,I highly recommend it.

Thanks for your response. Good to hear someone else is training with this killer program. How far along are you? And, yeah. I'm hip to fitday.

Phaedra said:
Thanks for your response. Good to hear someone else is training with this killer program. How far along are you? And, yeah. I'm hip to fitday.

Tomorrow I will be completeing week 1. Yeah he's good at this kind of thing.LOL How is it going so far for you???

jenscats5 said:
At this point - I'd keep it simple. You can follow the meal plan if you'd like - but you don't have to to see results. Just keep the cheat meals to a minimum. Use a free tracking site like www.fitday.com & aim for a 40/30/30 split of protein/carb/fat and keep the cals range between 10x & 12x your current weight. Try keeping a log recording all your food so we can make alternate suggestions/comments.

Hi Jenscats. Thanks for your imput. I'm really trying to refine my diet to Shadow's plan, that's why I was asking if it was integral. You say that I don't have to follow it to see results, though. So....confused.

Here's a breakdown of what's been a typical food plan for me this week on HITT days. On days with cardio I invert meals 1 & 2.

Meal 1 - 1/2 c. Oatmeal, scoop of protein powder, 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
(Workout)
Meal 2 - PWO shake
Meal 3 - Tofu, steamed veg, 1/2 tbls flax oil, starchy carb (ie sweet potatoe)
Meal 4 - Tuna, steamed veg, starchy carb
Meal 5 - Tofu, salad, 1/2 tbls flax oil
Meal 6 - Protein shake, or tuna/tofu /veg

momsgettinfit said:
Tomorrow I will be completeing week 1. Yeah he's good at this kind of thing.LOL How is it going so far for you???

MGF, we have matching schedules. I just completed week #1 today. Are you following the food plan as well? Have you had to substitue machine moves for DBs on any of the supersets? Reason I ask is because I had to *alter* slightly to keep my momentum and intensity. And are you doing the am / pm split? HITT on empty stomach and lifting after in the SAME workout is nasty gruesome...or dumb. Waiting to hear if this can be reconciled.

Top Bottom