Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Which is better to stimulate and "pump"?

Primal X

I've heard that in order to get the greatest stimulatin of a muscle you need to islolate then go heavy compound. If youre not sure what I mean, heres an example:
Chest Day
Flyes: 3 x 10 (isolation)
Incline DB: 3x 10 (compound)

Is this the best way to stimulate, or should I go compound first?

The chest has 2 ranges of motion that cause contraction. The press and fly. Each method works the pec in a different way because of the different range of motion. Do both the press and fly. Whereas the bicep can only contract using 1 range of motion (curling). People will curl in all different angles and positions thinking they are isolating a different part of the bicep. That is physiologically incorrect.

That's called the pre-exaustion method of traning...I haven't nessecarily tried it out myself but I've heard it works great. You'll just have to try it out for yourself.

If you're just starting out or to put it a better way, if you can't lift really that much then I would use post-exhaustion, or in other words do the compound first and then finish the muscle with an isolation exercise, eg squat first then do a set of heavy leg extensions.
After a while of doing that you'll end up having to lift ridiculous amounts to progress and it can stress your joints, especially if you have some inherent weakness, say in your knees or somewhere. Then it would pay you to use pre-exhaustion, so that you wouldn't need to lift as much in your compound movement because the primary muscle you want to train is already half fried.
But, like I said, if you can't really lift that much in your compound movements anyway, I'd recommend doing them first because, as their name suggests they train more than the primary muscle and stimulate a whole block of muscles to grow, so if you use pre-exhuast you are limiting the stress placed on those other muscles other than the primary because you are making the primary the weak link. This is not what you want if you're at a time when you want to lift as much in your compund movements as you possibly can to make your body grow quickly.

Last edited:
It depends bro I read about a study done at Penn State University and they concluded that doing pressing movements before flyes increased their strength but the subjects who did flyes before presses made better size gains... interesting huh?

I always do presses first though.

:D:D

Top Bottom