Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What is the best martial arts for self defense?

Wrestling

BJJ is very good, but you have to become proficient which will take years.

If you can't hold someone in your guard and you intentionally put yourself on your back you can get f'ed up quick like.

PICK3 said:
Wrestling

BBBJ is very good, but you have to become proficient which will take years.

If you can't hold someone in your guard and you intentionally put yourself on your back you can get f'ed up quick like.

what the french toast? :worried:

PICK3 said:
Wrestling

BJJ is very good, but you have to become proficient which will take years.

Agreed, I can stand with anyone however Im useless on the ground......Lets face it.. thats where it ends up

Arabian said:
I have been Kickboxing and boxing for years however I want to start taking another form of martial arts.... I was thinking Aikido or Judo..... What is your opinion? Also I have limited time for pratice. thanks

Any type of martial art that will keep you standing and put your attacker on the ground. Let's face it last place you want to be is on the ground in a bar even if you do know how to submit from the guard. I'd go with Greco Roman wrestling, Judo, or even freestyle wrestling. That said, if you can find a place that teachs all aspects of Judo, throws and submissions, I think that would be good.

crew9 said:
Any type of martial art that will keep you standing and put your attacker on the ground. Let's face it last place you want to be is on the ground in a bar even if you do know how to submit from the guard. I'd go with Greco Roman wrestling, Judo, or even freestyle wrestling. That said, if you can find a place that teachs all aspects of Judo, throws and submissions, I think that would be good.
Thanks for the imput

crew9 said:

My senior year in H.S. me and a buddy took Judo lessons thinking it would help our wrestling.

The rules were ridiculous. You had to start holding each other’s Gi. The instructor was approx. 10 years older than us and outweighed us by 50 lbs.

It hurt like a MoFo when he threw us (before we learned to slap the mat), but then once we were on the ground we promptly kicked his ass.

However, there are also Self Defense experts who strongly argue that learning a combat sport is not in itself of huge use in a street fight. The reason for this is that combat sports prepare you for a fight where there are rules, regulations, a confined ring, and a time limit. None of those things exist in a street fight.

For self defence, you need to go to a self defence class. They'll show you that 97% of assailants throw a big right hand haymaker. So, the defence is to quickly smash your open right hand (not your fist) into their face when they inevitably pull their hand back and have no guard up (just under the nose).

You'd never learn this is a martial Arts club or Boxing club. Similarily, kicking like you see in Muay Thai could be lethal against you if you're an amateur with basic skills and he catches your kick. However, a straight kick to the stomach is easy and painful after you smash your open palm into their face. If someone catches you from behind, don't swing punches behind your head, use your the back of your own head to hit them in the face. Again, would you learn this in a Boxing gym? No way!

riverrock said:
However, there are also Self Defense experts who strongly argue that learning a combat sport is not in itself of huge use in a street fight. The reason for this is that combat sports prepare you for a fight where there are rules, regulations, a confined ring, and a time limit. None of those things exist in a street fight.

For self defence, you need to go to a self defence class. They'll show you that 97% of assailants throw a big right hand haymaker. So, the defence is to quickly smash your open right hand (not your fist) into their face when they inevitably pull their hand back and have no guard up (just under the nose).

You'd never learn this is a martial Arts club or Boxing club. Similarily, kicking like you see in Muay Thai could be lethal against you if you're an amateur with basic skills and he catches your kick. However, a straight kick to the stomach is easy and painful after you smash your open palm into their face. If someone catches you from behind, don't swing punches behind your head, use your the back of your own head to hit them in the face. Again, would you learn this in a Boxing gym? No way!

Ive never had any trouble and Im a big guy with plenty of kickboxing experience however I was wondering about another form..

Top Bottom