Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

TUNA HIGH IN EFA's?

Not really relying on the Tuna for EFA's. Already using nuts and flax oil.
Just wondered how Tuna can be a low fat fish and be high in EFA's?!?

PANTS said:

Answer: They're not.

Another related question: I've read in Udo's "Fats That Kill, Fats That Heal" book that since EFAs are generally used for 'structural' purposes and are not generally used for energy, that it is not necessary to count them as "calories". Is this true? I take about 3 tbsp's of flax a day and was counting them... should I not be?

PANTS said:

tuna is not low in fat

it is a fatty fish (like salmon, mackerel,...)

Anthrax said:

tuna is not low in fat

it is a fatty fish (like salmon, mackerel,...)

Huh? 1 can of tuna fish has about 1.5 grams of fat. It's not that fatty... Maybe you're referring to fresh uncanned tuna or something. I don't know anything about that.

Just like beef, tuna has different cuts that are higher in fat. There is also high variation between fish in the amount of fat. In japan very fatty tuna is called "toro" and the fattiest sells for $100+/lb WHOLESALE. Regular, unfatty tuna is called "maguro" and is like chicken.

At those prices something tells me most fatty tuna ends up in japan.

JC

Its just that most "nutrition" literature seems to list tuna as a good source of EFA's.
I gues they're incorrect.

Taken in aggregate, the tuna fish has lots of fats in it. Tuna is heated to a very high level when canned. EFAs hate heat. There is an in-depth discussion of this elsewhere on the site about how some tuna is heated prior to canning and most of the fat drips off. Other methods include heating after canning which preserves some EFAs. I can't remember where I saw it use the search function.

JC

joncrane said:
Taken in aggregate, the tuna fish has lots of fats in it. Tuna is heated to a very high level when canned. EFAs hate heat. There is an in-depth discussion of this elsewhere on the site about how some tuna is heated prior to canning and most of the fat drips off. Other methods include heating after canning which preserves some EFAs. I can't remember where I saw it use the search function.

JC

right :)

and, as you can't know which process has been used, you can't know if fat is still in the can or not

so I guess you should not rely on canned tuna for EFAs

Top Bottom