Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

to 5x5 or not to 5x5....

Seattleite said:
I think the author was just saying they don't look as strong when you compare them to freakish-looking bodybuilders. Compared to the average guy, yes...they look very strong.

He also said training like a powerlifter will make you stringer but not necessarily bigger. I guess that's true if you're training like a half-ass powerlifter.

ceo said:
He also said training like a powerlifter will make you stringer but not necessarily bigger. I guess that's true if you're training like a half-ass powerlifter.

Again, I think he was just explaining why the typical powerlifter looks like a truck driver while many bodybuilders look like the incredible hulk (yet can't move half the weight). Of course moving heavier and heavier wight will add some size to anyone....its just that training in the 1-5 rep range isn't the ideal range for hypertrophy. It is ideal for brutal strength.

Seattleite said:
Again, I think he was just explaining why the typical powerlifter looks like a truck driver while many bodybuilders look like the incredible hulk (yet can't move half the weight). Of course moving heavier and heavier wight will add some size to anyone....its just that training in the 1-5 rep range isn't the ideal range for hypertrophy. It is ideal for brutal strength.

i mainly train in the five rep range

5x5 probably really good if you're newer to lifting weights, builds a good base that you can "chizzle" out later on with isolation, body builder style - or step it up to more intense power lifting style .

how much can you bench n squat relative to your body weight? how many times can you pull your own weight up on a pull-up bar?

dabuffguy said:
It means I'm a bodybuilder, not a powerlifter. If I had 20 inch ripped arms and could only bench 250, I wouldn't even care. Although, I would be able to lift 400 plus probably if I had that much size.

all show, no go

id feel like a giant pussy if i had 20 inch arms and could ONLY bench 400, never mind 250 lol. ive seen someone @ 220 5'8" with 19's barely rep 315 for 5 and it was pathetic. I just cant see how someone would be satisfied with looking big and strong, but still be as weak as most average gym rats.

Reactions: ceo
Basikstylz said:
Okay... I know... the 5x5 is great, and I have been using it. I have seen plenty of strength gains and I'm not complaing in that department. What I want to know is will the 5x5 program give me cuts and deffinition(w/ proper diet) like Iso work outs will? or will I simply gain size and strength?

Okay.. so maybe I'm a pretty boy... not really but I do want a visually apealing physique. So please provide your input...

training style has nothing to do with "cuts and definition"

the 5x5 will put a ton of mass on you if you eat enough, and make you stronger than you've probably ever been. after the program is done, cut calories and watch the new "cuts and definition" magically appear

DaveTSI said:
all show, no go

id feel like a giant pussy if i had 20 inch arms and could ONLY bench 400, never mind 250 lol. ive seen someone @ 220 5'8" with 19's barely rep 315 for 5 and it was pathetic. I just cant see how someone would be satisfied with looking big and strong, but still be as weak as most average gym rats.

+1

DaveTSI said:
training style has nothing to do with "cuts and definition"

the 5x5 will put a ton of mass on you if you eat enough, and make you stronger than you've probably ever been. after the program is done, cut calories and watch the new "cuts and definition" magically appear

Every time. Dave Tate (300 lb. powerlifter) made such a transformation.

ceo said:
Every time. Dave Tate (300 lb. powerlifter) made such a transformation.

he looks fuckin awesome now, seriously jacked

Top Bottom