Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Truth abou ANWR.

jerseyrugger76 said:
I don't really have a position on ANWAR per se. Ann said it looked an awful lot like the moon and the Caribou seemed to enjoy the warmth. The pics seem to support that claim. Note I get all of my conservative info from Ann. She's the only one of you louts who's smart, hysterically funny, and easy on the eyes. She also has a phenomenal recipe for braised English short ribs. Anywho . . .

I've heard quotes that it will take 5 to 10 years (leaning towards 10) to get the oil from ANWAR into the markets. Let's assume 5 years. Markets look approximately 6 to 12 months into the future. So, it's not going to do shit for me today, as an investor or a consumer.

Let's assume that we do it anyway and drill 5 years from now. What then? Isn't it like saying to someone, "You know, since you're a smack addict, we'll fix the problem by giving you more heroin! Everything will be all better then."

Oil will never go away as an energy source. With oil sands in places like Canada, I don't think it should. But where is the comprehensive solution that is one part oil, one part wind, one part ethanol, one part solar, one part international relations, one part nuclear power (France gets about 82% of their power from nuclear sources, I'd do the same in a heart beat), and one part research (e.g. turning ocean wave motion into energy)? It's like solving a calculus equation subject to a constraint (the availability of oil).

Everyone is talking in false dichotomies: anwar or no anwar; oil or no oil. And it's total bullshit. You could drill from ANWAR to the center of the earth, but unless you take a holistic approach to solving the problem, it will never end.

My whole family works on the north slope. I like Ann Coulter too, but frankly she has never seen how fast an operation can go up.

This is exactly my point. The idea that it would take 10 years to get the oil to market is total crap. Its a political lie. Its manipulative. And it pisses those of us who know off. Don't believe the hype.

pin said:
My whole family works on the north slope. I like Ann Coulter too, but frankly she has never seen how fast an operation can go up.

This is exactly my point. The idea that it would take 10 years to get the oil to market is total crap. Its a political lie. Its manipulative. And it pisses those of us who know off. Don't believe the hype.

WTF is the North Slope? Type slowly, I'm drinking.

mountain muscle said:
You lost me on this post. Are you saying people who drill are uneducated and want to drill to feel good about themselves? Are you calling me uneducated?
Did you know that the govt makes almost twice the money off of oil revenues than the oil companies do?

Self righteous is bitching about oil companies and drilling and claiming we need to stop drilling for alt fuel sources when there is no infrastructure in place to use alt fuels. Those are the people who are bitching and feeling good about themselves while not doing anything to make the world a better place.

LOL no I'm saying that environmentalist who block things like ANWR because they feel they are making the best decision and making a difference are usually self-righteous. They usually don't understand the fields they are speaking up against.
I'm from Wyoming and grew up a coal miners son. The mine my father worked at is located next to the land my grandfather homesteaded. Due to reclamation that was paid for by profits from the mine the mine is now the most desired habitat in the region. Likewise due to profits from Methane drilling on local ranches across the state the the habitat is in better condition than ever in history.
I believe in protecting the environment through improvement, not isolation. Unless you believe in population control, it is too late to "preserve" the planet. Now we must make it work for us.

pin said:

I have always ignored that minor misconception. It speaks volumes about the knowledge of the people who are speaking out against drilling.

4 holes in the DJ basin here take about 10 days including rig moves and each hole is around 7k ft. They drilled one hole to 7k ft in 29 hours.

Ignorance is bliss.

jerseyrugger76 said:

North Slope = northern alaska

your point is deadly accurate, we need multiple solutions. One of those solutions is ANWR. There are other ways to get oil, much of the rocky mountain region has Oil shale which is similar to oil sands. They are working on the same process of removing the oil out of the shale as the sands. There is plenty of oil(anwar, existing fields, off-shore, shale, ect), we just need to keep the environment foremost in the process. Create the jobs, get the oil, use profits for the environment, fuel the economy. Vote for me.

Megalomaniac said:
LOL no I'm saying that environmentalist who block things like ANWR because they feel they are making the best decision and making a difference are usually self-righteous. They usually don't understand the fields they are speaking up against.
I'm from Wyoming and grew up a coal miners son.

OMG I think the Heath Ledger character in Brokeback Mountain had a similar back-story. Amazing!

jerseyrugger76 said:

:lmao:

The North slope is the entire northen section of Alaska north of the brooks range. It includes ANWR.

They call it "the slope" because it gradually slopes into the Arctic Ocean from the Brooks Range. Anyone who works up there is called "a slope worker" of "slopey".

It looks so awesom in the winter. Its like another planet. The northen lights were the most amazing thing I've ever seen. They filled the entire sky with green and purple swirls of light. I remember one night all 120 of us guys in the camp just stopped working for about 45 minutes and stood on the frozen arctic ocean and stared at the sky. Thats a really cool memory.

mountain muscle said:
I have always ignored that minor misconception. It speaks volumes about the knowledge of the people who are speaking out against drilling.

4 holes in the DJ basin here take about 10 days including rig moves and each hole is around 7k ft. They drilled one hole to 7k ft in 29 hours.

Ignorance is bliss.

I thought about working that field, then I decided tours in Iraq is better work for me. LOL. That is how much respect I have for those guys, that is a tough industry and I love the fact that that both soldiers and rough necks are getting paid these days. Jobs that people sitting in offices couldn't handle but need, it kills me when they make more. I would love to revamp the pay scales in the world. Lawyers 40,000, Doctors 150,000, roughnecks 130,000, military 100,000, cops/firemen 100,000, teachers 140,000, pro athletes 25,000, actors 15,000 ect.

The Drilling Location is DANGEROUSLY close to water and those delicate Island Eco Systems that I am sure house micro ecosystems

not to mention it would be nice to keep that OIL for a TRUE emergency,

say a Nuclear winter

Megalomaniac said:
I'm from Wyoming and grew up a coal miners son. The mine my father worked at is located next to the land my grandfather homesteaded. Due to reclamation that was paid for by profits from the mine the mine is now the most desired habitat in the region. Likewise due to profits from Methane drilling on local ranches across the state the the habitat is in better condition than ever in history.
I believe in protecting the environment through improvement, not isolation. Unless you believe in population control, it is too late to "preserve" the planet. Now we must make it work for us.

I was just making sure. Thank your dad for me, mines are a crazy ass place to work and fascinating too. What part of Wyoming? When are you going to come back and join us for deer/elk camp?

Top Bottom