Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The right way to do bench presses

gixxer

i read a lot of things about people doing bench presses wrong... can somebody explain me the things that i should keep in mind in order to be doing the movement in a proper fashion

thanks

Get a firm base established before you unrack the bar. Lower the bar all of the way down to your chest (usually to nipple height for most people) then push the bar back up. Simple huh :)

The bad things you should avoid:
1) not lowering the bar all of the way
2) bouncing the bar off your sternum
3) Lifting your hips off the bench to make it easier

Gixxer said:
i read a lot of things about people doing bench presses wrong... can somebody explain me the things that i should keep in mind in order to be doing the movement in a proper fashion

thanks

You'll likely get a lot of responses on this. Here's what i concentrate on:

Hands shoulder width or slightly wider on the bar.
Control the weight coming down, elbows out.
Keep your back flat on the bench, do not arch.
Touch the bar on your chest, no bouncing! (If you have to arch your back or bounce, you're lifting too much!)
Control the weight back up, squeeze your chest at the top of the lift.

OK bros, am I forgetting anything?

Good stuff so far, one thing I really concentrate on is keeping my shoulder blades and lats pressed down against the bench. Especially at the top of the movement this helps to hit the chest as much as possible.

Like what jax said............ imagine that you just did a seated close grip row into your stomach.......... when your backs all crunched together like that is when you should lay down...... it feels akward at first........ but hey...... with the increased weight you will use i doubt you will mind

Take this as good advice... with one additive!!

"Get a firm base established before you unrack the bar. Lower the bar all of the way down to your chest (usually to nipple height for most people) then push the bar back up. Simple huh

The bad things you should avoid:
1) not lowering the bar all of the way
2) bouncing the bar off your sternum
3) Lifting your hips off the bench to make it easier"

~quoted from Imnotdutch

The only thing I would add to this is what a powerlifter once told me about feet..... make sure that they are planted firmly in a comfortable position and never, ever take them off the floor.... they are the stable base for your bench movement.

Maxmuscle66

Hey Max,

I've seen guys put their feet up on the bench to keep from arching their back. Is that bad?

Top Bottom