Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Taking a week off after 7 weeks?

nerdyweakling

I started lifting in July (with only access to machines), but really picked it up late August. About 7 weeks ago I had to take a week off after I hurt my lower back, but have done a 4 day split since (day 1= back/biceps, day 2 = chest/tris/shoulders, 3 = legs, and 4 = rest).

I have felt great since but this past routine I have been really weak. I can't even lift what I could the previous week. It is as if 20% of my strength has been taken from me. I am eating great and getting enough rest (I even got extra rest last night to see if today would be better), but am simply unable to lift what I could previously.

This has just been yesterday and today. But it is convincing because it is across all excersizes and muscle groups. Tomorrow is legs, and then a day of rest.

Do you think I should take a week off after my leg workout tomorrow? I've read some people take a week off every 12 weeks, while some do only every 6 months....

Logically it would seem I shouldn't need a break, but I must say if I listen to my body I think it is telling me to take a rest. Otherwise I'll probably continue lifting these lesser amounts of weight.

Any advice? Thank you!

No big deal, just seems like you need a deload week. I would try taking an extra day off after your three days of lifting, then on the next cycle do your usual routine but with 50-60 percent of the weight.

You may also want to add the weight back onto the bar slowly instead of trying for your old numbers right after the deload week, it'll help you consolodate some of that strength.

Thanks.

I'll be forced to take Thursday-Sunday off due to Thanksgiving. Since those are 4 days w/o lifting, do you think I should just take a week off? If not then I'll deload next week, take the 4 days off, and then start building up that next week post-thanksgiving. Thanks!

a week off is too long bro. unless you really really need it. save the week off for when you take a vacation or have a family emergency etc.

during thanksgiving you should still do some pushups at home... some leg work even if its just squatting in place with no weight. if you want to take things to the next level. only way to grow muscle is to workout

Thanks guys. The deload week was GREAT...instead of struggling with usual weights I was able to focus on form and knock out great reps and sets with a bit lighter weights. Left the gym feeling great (and spent), instead of feeling like I had wasted my time because I couldn't lift what I usually could. I'll work back up to my old weights over the next week and move forward. This was a great solution to the problem, and I wasn't aware of deload weeks before, so THANKS!

You can take many days off in a week as well. Can make the difference between substandard and PR lifts...

Top Bottom