Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squat/Back Injury Question

The Dude

Recently I injured one of my spinal erectors while squatting (not the heaviest of sets either: 225 on the 13th rep). Like a dumbass, I aggravated it a week later when it "felt" better. I think a tendency to let my left foot slip back a little in my stances contributed greatly to this. I'm concentrating on this like never before to keep my feet glued to the floor. I've had to alter everything over the past couple weeks, but I'll slowly be adding squats and deadlifts (and others that rely on the middle back = where the strain is) at very light weights.

Anyway, I noticed something about when I injured my back and some feelings I've gotten while trying body weight squats. I was squatting with an ever widening stance for a while and then I brought it back in to strictly shoulder width. With body weight squats, I noticed a twinge right in that muscle when going to/below parallel with a shoulder width stance. Then I opened it up a bit and I dropped down so comfortably that I really was surprised. I think this had just as much to do with my injury as my foot sitting back a little. My question is, has anyone else noticed this kind of discomfort/comfort with squat stances. And has anyone suffered a similar injury and want to pass on what your personal recovery experience was?

Stabalizing muscles are funny, weird things tend to set them off... i pulled my transverse ab awhile back (doing what i don't know, it was bothering me for a few weeks, just a nagging pain and then one day i sneezed and the nagging pain became a real bad pain...)

That kept me out of the gym for about a week and once i went back, I find that it was concentration on form that helped me out the most... the most painful thing for me was, of all things, shoulder press.... (i've dropped the weights i was doing by half, slowly working back)... i can work my abs no probs now, still have a little bit tightness, nothing more

i guess that doesn't really help you with your back problem, other than thinking maybe the position of your feet allowed you to concentrate more on the hamstring (wide stances squats are more ham that quad)

my best advice to you would be do really take it easy, as i said, stabilizing muscles are tricky and you never know what little stupid thing will flare them up.

good luck

Top Bottom