Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

SO what's the REAL lowdown on Squats on a Smith machine?

Try FRONT SQUATS on the smith machine, this will allow to keep your back upright to direct a lot of stress to the quads while you still can place your feet closer to the center of gravity and have more freedom in the hips to evenly spread the shearing forces between knees and back

wow. awesome responses guys.

Vortexx and Lord_Suston, where do you place your feet for front squats on the Smith?

bignate, what is the lowdown on front squats on the Smith?

Corn, Mohawk, where do you put your feet to do back squats on the Smith?

JC

feet placement

I usually put them in line with the bar at shoulder width apart.. This keeps my back pretty straight, and is easy on the knees... It really depends on your body mechanics, try it with no weight and proceed from there, good luck...

my feet are kicked out in front...

Hannibal - lol - tell my quads that they are not a good exercise....

Cornholio said:
Hannibal - lol - tell my quads that they are not a good exercise....

Only if you explain to my KNEES why I would want to squat with my quads in the first place....

:lmao:

front squats are a different story. the bar placement during a regular front squat is in the front which allows the torso to remain more upright so less problems for your back. main thing is to set the feet up in a position so you are pushing up instead of back, but it shouldnt be a problem since the bar placement is better. basically just mimic the front squat as much as possible. you may have to set the feet just slightly further forward of a normal standing position because the hips tend to move back on the descent(and the bar would usually follow). if you dont move your feet forward it will cause you to stick your butt out more placing your back in a more vulnerable position.

Hannibal said:

Only if you explain to my KNEES why I would want to squat with my quads in the first place....

:lmao:

...for quad delelopment not as a hips and glutes xercise....

what do you mean??

I specifically do squats to activate as much quad as possible while minimizing hip and glute involvement - feet way out in front close stance.....I also do leg extensions...whcih plters hate as wel for some reason...although Shane Hammons - the youngest man to ever squat 1000 uses the on a regular basis and dwears they have helped him in his pfltng pursuits...

Ok I understand. I actually just got back from the gym where I experimented.

I did front squats and put my feet directly under the bar. I did notice the tendency to want to stick my butt out, and I definitely noticed it with back squats with my feet back.

However I think I have good instincts or recruitment patterns or whatever you want to call it because when I feel that I consciously try to push forward with my hips.

As an added bonus I think that will strenghten my glutes and perhaps even my posterior chain.

After reading bignates posts (which are very helpful--karma coming your way), I think I am safe in putting my feet back as long as I am conscious of not letting my butt stick out too far.

When I train that girl I will start her out with feet forward or directly under and also tell her to watch out for sticking out her butt.

Thanks guys I have learned a lot and I hope y'all did too.

JC

Top Bottom