Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Recipe Thread!!

Pork Chops with Fennel and Caper Sauce

**Saw this on Everyday Italian the other day & thought it looked good & would be good with chicken too...

1/4 cup olive oil (eh, to me this is optional)
4 boneless (2-inch-thick) pork chops (about 2 pounds total)
3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning meat
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning meat
2 fennel bulbs with fronds, thinly sliced (about 8 ounces or 2 cups)
2 large shallots, thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus 1/3 cup
1/2 cup white wine (or water or veggie broth)
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their juices
1/2 lemon, zested
2 tablespoons capers

In a large, heavy skillet heat the olive oil over high heat. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Add the pork to the pan and brown on both sides, about 4 minutes each side. Remove the pork from the pan, cover loosely with foil, and set aside.
Add the fennel, shallots, and 1/3 cup parsley to the pan and cook over medium heat until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the wine. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes and stir. Add the pork back into the pan, nestling the chops between the fennel and tomatoes so they are mostly submerged in the pan juices. Cook until the fennel is tender and the pork is done, about 12 to 15 minutes.

Place the pork on a serving dish. To finish the sauce, add the lemon zest, remaining 1/3 cup parsley, capers, and 3/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Spoon over the pork chops and serve immediately.

Mediterranean Farro Salad

**Don't know what Farro is, but I think brown rice or couscous would be a fine substitute.....

10 ounces farro (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
8 ounces green beans, cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup pitted black olives
1 medium red pepper, cut into thin strips (about 4 ounces or 1 cup)
3 ounces Parmesan, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
1 small bunch chives, snipped (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (again, to me - optional)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups of water with the farro. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the farro is almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and simmer until the farro is tender, about 10 minutes longer. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the green beans and stir. Cook for 2 minutes. Transfer the cooked green beans to a bowl of ice water and let cool for 2 minutes. Drain the green beans.

Once the farro has cooled add the green beans, olives, red pepper, Parmesan, and chives. Stir to combine. In a small bowl mix together the sherry vinegar, olive oil, mustard, pepper, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine. Pour the sherry vinaigrette over the farro salad. Toss to combine and serve.

Spinach and Ricotta-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Lemony White Wine Sauce

**Yet another food.tv recipe.....

Stuffing:
1 cup cooked, chopped, and drained fresh spinach
(Might want to use something else!!)
1/2 cup ricotta (non fat or light)
1/2 cup Gorgonzola
4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (use turkey bacon)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg
Sauce:
1/2 cup dry white wine (or veggie broth)
1/2 cup homemade chicken stock (canned is fine - use low sodium)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 lemon, juiced
Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish

Chicken:
2 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Make the Stuffing: In a bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta, Gorgonzola, and bacon and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Add the egg, mix well, and set aside.
Make the Sauce: Combine the wine and stock in a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a sauce-like consistency. Whisk in the mustard, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.

Make the Chicken: Place each chicken breast between 2 doubled-up sheets of plastic wrap, and pound to an even 1/4-inch thickness with a meat-pounder or rolling pin. Divide the stuffing between the breasts, mounding it along the center of each. Fold the bottom edge of each breast over the stuffing, fold in the sides, and roll forward until completely wrapped, to form a tight rolled package. Secure each flap with a toothpick. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper, to taste.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Cover the skillet, turn the heat down to low, and cook until just cooked through, about 5 minutes more.

Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour the sauce into the skillet over high heat and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon.

Slice the chicken into medallions, divide among plates, and spoon some of the sauce over each. Garnish with parsley and erve immediately.

KSHARP01 said:
I have seen allot of you talking about eating brown rice so last night I cook enough chicken for the week and some brown rice.....The rice was less than desirable. Any suggestions to give it a bit of flavor?? Keep in mind that I am from Louisiana and we don't tend to eat things without allot of flavor. I never even heard of anyone eating brown rice and wasn't even sure if it would be sold at the store. :) I am just looking for several things I can eat so I don't get burnt out for one and for things that are quick and easy so I can take to work with me for lunch. Thanks!
1 packet of sodium free chicken boullion, 2 tablespoons os soy sauce, 2 garlic cloves and pepper...cook all together for about 40 minutes until rice is ready...makes the rice so much more enjoyable

jpt said:
1 packet of sodium free chicken boullion, 2 tablespoons os soy sauce, 2 garlic cloves and pepper...cook all together for about 40 minutes until rice is ready...makes the rice so much more enjoyable

thx........I will surely try this. I had no idea how bad it tasted plain.. :worried:

I've gotten these at a local Thai restaurant but then saw them on TV & thought - Hey! I can make these.....

A Summer Roll is like an egg roll, but it's not fried.....

1 package Rice spring roll wrappers (they are dried)
Chopped shrimp or chicken, crab, whatever
Chopped veggies as desired (try bell peppers, dry cole slaw mix, Napa cabbage thinly sliced, iceberg lettuce, cucumber, scallions, shredded carrot)
Salt pepper wasabi, hot sauce, etc to taste
Soy sauce or Hoisin sauce for dipping

Fill a bowl with very hot tap water & place a wrapper in to soak & remove when pliable (be careful, they tear).. Lay flat on a nonstick surface & place desired ingredients on the lower 1/3 of the roll. Don't overfill. Tuck the long end over the filling, fold over the sides & roll up. The wet rice paper wrapper should allow the whole thing to stick together.

Eat cold or at room temp. Even my very picky vegetarian husband liked them! YUM!

Roonytunes said:
Once I couldn't stomach cottage cheese, but now I absolutely LOVE it...go figure! For me it was all about getting the right kind (dry curd or spreadable & 1%).

Here is a great link for 101 cottage cheese recipes that I stumbled on and thought I'd share:
http://www.shayananna.org/id39.html

You must spread some Karma around before giving it to Roonytunes again.

***COTTAGE CHEESE KARMA***

Sweet N Sour Chicken w/Brown Rice

**From my local newspaper...

Start to finish in 35 mins....

2 cups instant brown rice (or pre cooked regular brown rice)
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
2 tblsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tblsp. corn starch (could possibly reduce this to 1/2-1 tblsp. IMO)
2 tblsp. SF apricot preserves
2 tblsp. (or less) canola oil, divided
1 lb. chicken tenders, cut into bite sized pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. finely grated or minced ginger (~ 1/4 tsp. dry)
1 cup reduced sodium chix broth (or veggie broth)
6 cups bite sized pieces of mixed veggies
1 5-ounce can of sliced water chestnuts, drained

Prepare rice according to package directions.

Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch & preserves in a small bowl & set aside.

Heat 1 tblsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. (Or use cooking spray) Add chicken & cook undisturbed for 2 mins. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until no longer pink on the outside & just starting to brown in spots, about 2 mins more. Transfer to a plate.

Add the remaining oil, garlic & ginger to the pan & cook, stirring until fragrant, 20-30 seconds. Add broth & bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add vegetables reduce heat to a simmer, cover & cook until the veggies are tender-crisp, 4-6 mins. Stir in the water chestnuts & chicken. Whisk the reserved sauce & add to the pan. Simmer, stirring constantly until the sauce is thickened & the chicken is heated thru about 1 minute. Serve with the rice.

Makes 4 servings - about 1.5 cups stir fry & 1/2 cup rice each.

Per serving: 465 cals, 34g protein, 10g fat (1g sat, 4g mono), 62g carb, 68mg cholesterol, 674 mg sodium, 7g fiber.

Top Bottom