Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New guy to MMA, advice?

vin01

Hi all.

I have been thinking of taking up a martial arts as a means of self defense and maybe pursue it competitively.

Over the weekend a buddy of mine got jacked up by a bunch of guys at his college and got knocked unconscious and broke his jaw. This made me definately want to pursue a MMA. I never want to not be able to defend myself.

I am located in the Philadelphia area, and was wondering fi anybody knwos of any gyms around there? I have spoken to a 2 guys who own gyms, and am still researching. I had planned on studying Ju-Jitsu and Muay Thai boxing.

I would either study those OR regular boxing trianing.
Has anybody here tried boxing and MMA, and prefer one over the other?

Also, what could I expect to be paying, monthly, for classes and trianing? I am a student so fitting this into my budget would be a big thing..

Thanks in advance for any replies.

PS- Anybody ever hear or study Systema style of fighting? If I could find a place to study this I would love to try it!

hmm, I'd go with Mauy Thai and JJ if the instructin in both is good (and sparring is frequent) simply because you get striking and grappling there
if the JJ or MT is subpar tho I'd probubly go with the standard WEstern Boxing

Take Thai Kickboxing, it has a lot of powerful strikes...

as fun i prefer traditional styles that are both classic and productive to work in a real situation, however if you worried about strictly self defense, you gotta have something other than striking ability, I'd look around the area at martial arts schools ask the instructor about the history of that style and what that style is built around.

For example, to be productive and be an all around fighter you need 3 things...

Striking Ability, Blocking Ability and Ground ability.

Most every style will go over striking and blocking, but some schools neglect grappling(stuff done on the ground) while your much more inclined to fight standing up what if it goes to the ground? if you dont have knowledge, your screwed big time...

Make sure the style you take has good instruction, there's nothing worse than an instructor making a style look bad, 2 people can take the same style and 1 come out knowing how to defend there self and the other come out knowing how to defend himself as well as if he had just watched star wars.

Every style is great, every instructor is not, you must scope out the instructor make sure you comfortable around him, make sure he can relate to his students well, and make sure he knows what he's doing well enough to teach, make sure its a well rounded style...

Do this and you'll be a much better Martial Artist

Anyway these are just some things you should look for when finding a new school or start training.

If you need anymore help feel free to PM with any questions.

-TMK

Umm , Im pretty close to Philly and I know the Philly scene pretty well .

And unortunately Id say that , well , Philly sucks from an MMA standpoint .

There are a COUPLE of ppl there and they REALLY Overcharge . Like $200/mo just for BJJ . Its cheaper for me to go see Renzo Gracie in NYC !

Your best bet is Boxing there , without a doubt one of the best ranked Gyms in the Country is there :

Joe Hand Boxing Gym
1255 N Howard St.
Philadelphia. PA. 19122.
Ph: 215.739.9403

This guy trains and has defeated some of the BJJ guys in town ... Try out HIS class , and if it dosent Fit ask him where you could fit in .

ASCAB CAPOEIRA
Ronald Dukes, Jr.
Introduction to the African-Brazilian martial art of Capoeira developed during the 1800's by slaves in Brazil to protect themselves from their oppressors. Capoeira is a self defense technique with fluid circular movements. Participants are always playful & respectful. Learn the basic movements and concepts of this martial art which teaches you these self-defense techniques & serves as a form of artistic expression. Wear comfortable clothing & sneakers.
http://www.ucartsleague.org/classes/fitness.html

there is some good judo in philly you might want to check that out i can get you contact info if you want.. just let me know it would definately fit your budget as well..

i know there are some bjj schools around but i think you should look at some of them and then compare it to some of the judo schools in the area.

you need to check out a few schools and see how things are run and then see if it fits what your looking for and willing to spend.

good luck

Top Bottom