Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Nelmsjer's 2006 Journal

Just back from today's workout. Friday "heavy triple" day, so breakdown in reps is: 5/5/5/5/3/8

Squats: 170/210/255/295/348/255
Bench: 125/155/185/215/253/185 - I messed up and did 4 on 253. It was feeling light. :)
Power cleans: 100/125/150/175/205/150

Great workout! I'm tired, but I am looking forward to next week! Since it seems like half of EF is gone on the weekends...have a good one! :D

*Bunny* said:
Have a great weekend Nelms! :D

Thanks, *Bunny*! :)

Today's workout:

IP and I did 3 sets of 20 on hyperextensions and 3 sets of 15 reps on Roman chair situps. Then, we went outside and did eight 20-second "sprints" with 40-second rests. I was hurting, but it felt better than last time.

I have enough fat that my stomach "jiggles" when I run. It's really quite interesting and comical.

The other thing that IP and I have found interesting is that I now weigh 209 (PR). The intriguing aspect is that I'm not eating as much. I'm not sure what to make of it...

I hope everyone's weekend went well, and thanks for stopping by! :)

Today's workout was different, since the flat bench was being used after we were done with squats. So, we went straight from squats to Power Cleans. Wow...it was rough doing it this way, but I got all the reps and sets. Everything today was for sets of 5 reps, and here are the numbers.

Squat: 175/215/260/305/345 - For the first time in a long while, these got difficult. I love the feeling, though.

Power Clean: 100/125/150/180/205 - PR. I guess since I've never really done power cleans on a consistent basis, this and all that follow are PRs. I'll start labeling. :)

Bench Press: 125/160/190/220/253 - PR. This still went up nice and smoothly.

Overall, I can certainly tell I'm in week 3. I'll make all my weights in week 4, but after that, it's going to be a grind. Actually, after this week, I'll be on vacation for 3 weeks, so I'll be coming back and probably doing the exact same weights I've done for the last 2 weeks. THEN I'll hit week 4. :)

Oh, and I weighed 209.2 today. PR.

Incidentally, I don't know what to do about PRs on this program. I've done 335 for 12 before, but I know I didn't use this range of motion. So, I guess that technically all my lifts are PRs right now. It's strange, because I feel like I should be jumping up and down with joy for hitting these numbers at these weights and ranges of motion, but for some reason I'm not.

Writing this and thinking about it some more, I think I understand why: I was 30 lbs. lighter, so it just doesn't seem as impressive to me this time. I was somewhere around 175 when I benched 305 in college, power cleaned 225 to see if I could, deadlifted 425, and squat 405 (not through this range of motion, however). So, it just doesn't seem as rewarding weighing 30 lbs. more. I guess I feel, "Hey, you're 30 lbs. heavier, you should be doing a LOT more weight than you were".

I'd be interested in any feedback or input on this one...

First off congrats on the PR's, nelms.

As far as squats are concerned, I just wiped the slate clean and started over. I don't even count what I did before going full range, in fact, I'm a little embarrassed about them lol.

And even though I too am up about 30, I still get excited about a PR :D

nelmsjer said:
I'd be interested in any feedback or input on this one...
It's the nature of the beast - you're always gonna want more. I got 5 plates on squats and literally my first thought was 'Hmm.. I wonder how long 6 plates is gonna take'. Then it occurred to me that 5 plates is a milestone and that I shoudl revel in it for a bit. But still I think more about what's next than what was.

It's a sickness :p

Bear in mind that not only are you using an increased range but you're also having to squat most of that extra 30lbs. ;)

All you can ever do is try to keep moving forwards. Maybe you are weaker than you used to be in some respects while being stronger in others. All that really matters is that you are stronger than you were a short while ago and that, in another short while, you expect to be even stronger again.

If those old-squats were partials then record them as such. Keep your PRs separate. Have raw PRs, belted PRs, partial-range PRs. Even have Monday PRs if it's appropriate within your training.

Speaking of the added 30, instead of 'hams to calves' to describe full squatting, I may soon be calling them 'belly to quads' :D

Top Bottom