Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need opinions on my workout regime! All help appreciated

RicekillerGT

Hey guys, I need some quick opinions and this definitely seems like the place to get them. I'm 19 years old, played varsity football for years and have always been strong. Recently I was hit by someone running a red light and it put me out of the game for a while. I ended up gaining a lot of weight and losing some muscle mass. I put myself on a diet and hit up the gym everyday, I was definitely seeing improvements but after about two weeks I noticed my workouts getting harder (wasn't giving enough rest) so I decided to change it up. It's been working for me for now but I just wanted opinions from people with more experience. Thanks!

Day 1- arms, biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest, etc
Day 2- legs
Day 3- Cardio and abs
Day 4- break
Day 5- repeat.

What do you think? I'm not maxing out on anything (herniated disk in my neck) so I'm mainly repping 3 sets of 10 at 150-200 lbs

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EliteFitness

Rest is certainly important. The determining factor is how long between sessions is too long and not long enough. There isnt definitive research in this area. As for myself my legs are always sore. I do deadlifts on tuesday, squats on thursday and saturdays and snatch lifts on all three days. The upper body stuff is 3 days per week. Unless a person is tapering on their training volume it is difficult to assess whether strength is really increasing because there is always some level of fatigue somewhere. I prefer to focus on the activity rather than some absolute outcome because that entails specifically curtailing volume just to see benefits and by doing so you really arent training fully, so it is a catch 22. I prefer to focus on the positive things such as the intensity and challenge of lifting heavy and no insomnia when lifting regularly. Plus it gets rid of massive frustration. Lifting is one of the few things where a dude can be a dude. There isnt societal constraint on what is allowed unless you are in some retarded gym where all the people arent motivated. I encountered this often in Seattle when I lived there. It seemed often when I was training that people would give me advice as if I were a harris poll taker. This is largely why I stopped going to gyms. Lifting heavy is hard enough without someone harassing you. I viewed it as an insult to my way of life as a person. There was a good gym called the gym of Seattle where Willie Austin was lifting in 1993, under a nightclub, over across from Gas works park, since been closed. Likely now that olympic lifting is trendy with the crossfit commercialization these complaints about lifting have largely disappeared if you can pay the $250 a month most of these crossfit circuses charge. Im rambling as usual, just figure out what works for you and keep doing your workout.

First problem is get shoulders away from the other exercise days. You use your shoulders for just about everything, train them by themselves or with a leg workout. I would put a day of rest or cardio or legs before and after my shoulder work outs.

Problem two, back workout????

Many ways to mix it up. You could do circuit training and workout out your whole body in one work out but there, you would be more after endurance not strength for the most part. You could split the circuit training into two days that focus on different parts of the body. This might be a good way for you to go because you could set this up for more fat burning then a traditional split work outs.

Monday- Circuit training focusing more on the upper body.
Tuesday- Cardio and ABS.
Wednesday- rest if needed or another cardio day.
Thursday- Circuit training focusing more on lower body.
Friday- Cardio and ABS.

By Abs I mean more then crunches and sit ups, many different ways to work on your core and Abs. I would suggest looking up some martial arts Ab workouts. The info is all out there on You Tube.

Thinking about what you're trying to do, the routine above is probably the way to go if done right because basically you'll be gaining some strength and doing cardio 4 days a week. Circuit training isn't about standing around resting.

Next options which can be done differently but this would work.

Monday- Chest/Back
Tuesday- Cardio/ABS
Wednesday- Arms
Thursday-Cardio/ABS
Friday-Legs/Shoulders

Take the weekend off. Or one day off and start at the top again.

Many ways to do it depends on your goals. If you're fat one cardio day isn't going to cut it.

My 2 cents.

Rest is certainly important. The determining factor is how long between sessions is too long and not long enough. There isnt definitive research in this area.

That's where the dark art is and I'm afraid you have to figure out your own limits with out over doing it. Sometimes it takes help from others to point out what you're doing wrong but they have to know what they are talking about. No research will be definitive in this area,to many variables.

Top Bottom