Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My 5x5 so far... but what about...

RGS83

Hey guys. I've been doing the 5x5, and I'm only starting to get out of the build up (taking it slow for the first few workouts, 5lbs every week, like getting a running start at the heavy weight).

My setup is such:
*remember mostly at home, but for legs, and no spotter...
21yr old, 5'11, approx. 160lbs.

Mon: legs. (squats, leg press, leg extension, lying leg curl [hams], standing leg curl [hams], calf raise)

Tues: Chest & bis. (Flat bench, incline db press, flies) (BB curl, hammer curl, concentration curl)

Wed: off. (run and abs and such)

Thurs: Back. (Deadlifts, DB bent over rows, shrugs)

Fri: Shoulders & tris (BB military press, lat raise, upright row) (skull crushers, CG bench press, extensions)

Sat/Sun: off

I'm liking it so far, I'm starting to feel it (remember the 5x5 part hasn't really kicked in yet).

1) BUT what about my back. The back is more for strength, some looks, and a stablizer. I'm not into competing or anything like that, jsut getting bit bigger, stronger, and healthier... so the back isn't something you notice as you would your chest, arms, or legs.

I'm thinking of tossing my back workout on my leg day, as they have machines that will give me a solid workout - cuz i'm not feeling it at home.

BUT what do i do on Thursday then?? as it stands now, none of the workouts are going overly longer than any other??

Could break up my shoulder and tri workout, and toss more running and ab work on those days. - the ladies love the abs, and i got a bit of fat on my gut i could loose.

2) Also I find i'm not getting a solid workout on my shoulder days... I used to do a DB shoulder press, and i liked it normally, but too hard todo while doing a 5x5 (db are individual, so your not going up 5lbs, but really 10lbs every week)
The military press is alright, BUT I'm not getting a good workout from my lat raises (trying to keep solid form, not tossing them up, but still can only do 15lbs [as i have for sometime now! can't do 20], and upright rows are messing with my wrists...]
So can you guys recommend something for this aswell... I really don't want to have to goto the gym more than once a week if i can avoid it.
I thought of tossing shoulders on monday with my legs, BUT then i hit my chest the next day, plus i'm still left with doing my back at home - which is sucking.

I know it's kinda length, but I wanted to get it all out at once...
I really apperciate it guys. It's been a massive help before. I'm sure someone can recommend something.

Take Care
Ryan

I would break up your shoulder and tri day. Shoulders do BB military press 5x5 along with some laterals and such. On try day focus on dips weighted dips and close grip bench.

Karma is always welcome!

I'm doing the BB military press now.. gonna give that a shot...
But remember I'm working out at home, so dips I can't do unfortunatly.

What else can you recomend for developing my shoulders? In particular my lateral delt?
As I don't really think my lat raises are doing anything (15lbs for quite some time, and can't do 20 unless i toss it). Maybe i'm doing incorrect form? But it's pretty much just raising the weight (and trying to have the elbow above the wrist).
And uprightrows are messing with my wrist?

What could I do to replace it? Or can i??

for the lateral raises, there is many different ways to preform them. if you keep your thumbs down and elbows up you will not hit your middle delt effectively, as the stress is transfered to the rear delt as well.

try sticking with 15 pounds and hold them as you would naturally let your hands hang. then raise your arms slowly with your palms parallel to the floor. your arms should be slightly in front of you like your hugging a huge tree- dont try to push your hands back. keep it natural. try to do a 3x12 set at a slow tempo

the tempo is up to you, but i find that 2 seconds up, 1 second hold, and 2 to 3 seconds down is killer. for an extra kick dont let your hands lower down too much and relieve stress from the shoulder.

the length of the delt vs. the length of the arm is about 1:10. when you use 15 pounds the delt is having to support about 150 lbs of force. 17 or 18 pound dumbells are an ideal step, but arent always easy to find. 8 kilos would be perfect if you could find that.

Thanks for the reply... i'm a little confused.

How can I have them at my side, and have a 'hug a tree' like form?

I'll stick with em, any other recommendations for my delts? as uprightrows are not cool

HAha.

Are chinups a Shoulder or Back exercise??

If it falls under the back, then i'll do em mondays after my legs.
if shoulders... then i'm fucked, as i workout at home

Top Bottom