Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

MRSA - Staph infection. Share your experiences.

As SWATDOC said MRSA can only be diagnosed through a culture, which generally takes 48 hours to get results. If you told you that it is MRSA without culture results, he is assuming it is.

Most superficial MRSA infections can be treated with topical Bactroban, but the 3 antibiotics is overkill in my opinion. Most of the time MRSA can be effectively treated with Bactrim or Clindamycin.

Overuse of antibiotics is partially what has led to the prevelance of MRSA today. It originated in hospitals, but now (a slightly different strain) has spread into the community.

My guess is he is empirically treating you for MRSA without a clear definitive culture result. If he has culture results he should have a specific antibiotic that will treat this infection without having to use 3. Also if the wound is left open, you can be taught how to change your dressing and pack the wound properly in order not to have to keep returning to his office for extra charges.

Thank you swatdoc, and buffet1.
You're correct in assuming that my MRSA was visually diagnosed.
I'm taking Rifampin, Sulfameth/Trimethoprim, and Mupirocin ointment applied to my nasal passages, 2x10 days - I should have most of the tube leftover, should I save it?
Bactroban as a preventitive measure seems tempting. Would there be future complications from using this? Or could I use the leftover Mupirocin as a preventive measure?

a tube goes a long way...a tiny drop on a q-tip is more than enough for prevenative maintanience.

I doubt I would have prescribed rifampicin to someone who hasn't had documented MRSA before or isn't very ill (which means I would have probably admitted that patient to receive intravenous vancomycin).

Rifampicin is full of side effects.

Powerbuilder333 said:
Thank you swatdoc, and buffet1.
You're correct in assuming that my MRSA was visually diagnosed.
I'm taking Rifampin, Sulfameth/Trimethoprim, and Mupirocin ointment applied to my nasal passages, 2x10 days - I should have most of the tube leftover, should I save it?
Bactroban as a preventitive measure seems tempting. Would there be future complications from using this? Or could I use the leftover Mupirocin as a preventive measure?

Mupirocin = Bactroban.

Rifampin??? WTF? Overkill. Rifampin is often used in combination with Antibiotics such as Vancomycin for synergy. I personally don't think it has much use in this situation. The Bactrim and Batroban should take care of it.

swatdoc said:
I doubt I would have prescribed rifampicin to someone who hasn't had documented MRSA before or isn't very ill (which means I would have probably admitted that patient to receive intravenous vancomycin).

Rifampicin is full of side effects.
I've noticed my urine turns almost orange for several hours after taking Rifampicin. Even my BM's have a orange hue to them.

No I didn't really feel sick, but damn, I had a small football sized infection in my leg (almost groin area) I want that shit knocked out!
Swelling is down a bit, and I stopped taking Lortab. Never had much drainage though, and on my second visit the doctor took the wick out.
Took the week off from work, and the Gym :(

buffut, what is your medial background/experience?

Powerbuilder333 said:
I've noticed my urine turns almost orange for several hours after taking Rifampicin. Even my BM's have a orange hue to them.

No I didn't really feel sick, but damn, I had a small football sized infection in my leg (almost groin area) I want that shit knocked out!
Swelling is down a bit, and I stopped taking Lortab. Never had much drainage though, and on my second visit the doctor took the wick out.
Took the week off from work, and the Gym :(
Rifampicin will turn every bodily secretion orange. People who wear contact lenses often will need to wear glasses instead of their lenses while they are taking the rifampicin.

I had to take it once after an exposure to Neisseria meningitis while working overseas. Freaked my girlfriend out when I sneezed, wiped my nose, and had this bright orange stuff on the Kleenex.

I have taken care of patients who have mrsa so bad that their lower extremities are swollen, red, and raw. It is a nasty infection, although depending where the location is it is some what not as bad as people make it out to be.
Do as the dr said, and keep it clean. Last thing you want is a mrsa wound that ends up infected and what not. WASH YOUR HANDS constantly, you dont want to spread it or end up with another infected area.
Sounds as though you have a mild case. What type of meds are you on?

My best friend is in rehabilitation currently as she received a staph infection that became an abscess on her spinal column which then turned into osteomyelitis. Just becareful and keep an eye on it. Do not forget to take the meds, and do not miss a dose.

Mrsa is common. We all have staph on us, it just waits and finds a wonderful entry point where it feeds and goes nuts. The more populated the place the higher the risk..Very common to find it in a gym, nothing out of the ordinary.

I was diagnosed with it too. It freaked me out at first because I haven't had any of those disgusting boils in a few years. I had 3 about 3 or 4 years ago. They were horrible, painful and gross. I cried and cried and still have a scar on my thigh from the last one. So last fall when I went to the dr with a cold- she tested me for strep and it was neg but she called to tell me I had MRSA. She said I always need to let doctors and nurses know I have it so they can wear gloves or whatever- but she said honestly, at this point- I probably have it too with as many people seem to have it these days. I was worried for about a day and then I realized it really didnt matter. I took all the meds she gave me- but in the meantime I still kiss my daughter and husband- so do they have it too? Does it matter if no one is sick, or hurt, or dying or getting boils? I dont think so. We're all full of germs... This one just recently got a fancy name. Thats just my opinion though. Best wishes- and I have a feeling you'll be just fine.

Top Bottom