Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Mike Mentzers Highintensity Training??

Well about 4 years ago i gave it a try it is set up for you to only lift like every 8 days or something it was just know fun at all. hard to stay motivated.

I would stick to the madcow work out bill starr good stuff there.

thnx all for your help .one thing i have to say about the mentzer's work outs ,is it kicked my ass!!! .but training one time a week sucks ass for sure .i will give madcows work out a try ...........:)

I am one that believes in HIT for a few reasons. Well first off I train one set to failure per body part 3 days a week concentrating on reducing momentum and speed of movement basically its a 3 seconds up pause 3 seconds down pause. Full body workouts. I absolutely love this style of training. Since november i've gone from 154 to 172 with hardly any changes to my diet. The reason i train this way is for many reasons. WHen training with % of a max for instance, that % say 85% is only for the first rep of the set. There after the intensity of that set begins to increase. How much, who knows...The only way to really quantify intensity is to train to failure. This is based on the size principle of recruiting muscle fibers. No matter how heavy the weight the first fibers recruited are the type I fibers. As the set becomes more intense type I and type IIa fibers, and as the set becomes even more intense type I, type IIa and type IIb fibers are recruited. When failure is reached you know you have recruited as many muscle fibers as you can to perform this movement. So therefore saying that im going to do a set of 10 is really holding yourself back because you do not know how intense you really worked. When you fail you know you have reached your max. A lot of you will say well who wants to train to there max all the time, it will lead to overtraining, thats the beauty of working 1 set to absolute failure 3 days a week. In reality that would be 3 sets for chest in a week. Overtraining i think not. I know everyone is different but no one ever said that everything has to be so complicated, with loading, deloading, percentages of this and that. Lift til you cant lift anymore for one set and then based on science you have recruited basically as many fibers as you could, the more you recruit the more they will be able to grow.

No i did not drink the punch, to me it is simple and just makes sense. Remember K.I.S.S. I may have ranted a little in my explaination of things, but by no means am i dicounting anyone's routine on this board or anywhere for that matter, if it works for you , well than train, eat, and f*ckin grow. Like i said to me it just makes sense.

Good for you, now try getting to 230 with the same training.. you sound like me many years ago when I discovered the one-size-fits-all, black and white ideas of HIT on Cyberdump.com. No offense, but 170 is not very big unless you're shorter than average or in single digits bodyfat, pretty much any training should have got you there provided diet was in order.

It has to be 'complex' because that's how the body works, it adapts to stresses placed on it and strength gains & progression are not linear as you will discover. Some training volume and the highest possible frequency are necessary for muscle growth and you need to deload to give your body a chance to recover & grow. Slow concentrics are a terrible idea as they limit the amount you'll be resisting on the negative & they are not 'safer' than a natural lifting speed.

Go to intensemuscle.com and spend a week or two reading up on DC training at the doggpound, this addresses all the faults of simple HIT.

I think HIT has some of the right ideas, for squats and deads mainly. One intense workset per week is all you need to grow.

I would never use Mentzer's whole program though.

The HD routines Mike put in those books with John Little, are bs. That's not even what Mike himself did when he competed. At first he would do full body routines three times a week. Then later after leaving Jones and Nautilus, he would still work everything at least two times a week, but he didn't really count his warm ups (which were pretty heavy) as sets. As Robby Robinson said, Mike was in the gym often and he did train hard, but he wasn't there three times a month, doing two set workouts like he recommended to others in the 90's.

I would recommend using a good routine with a focus on basic, compound lifts. Add weight to the bar each week, don't read too many bs magazines and get your mind warped, eat often, and be patient. Nobody can offer an over night body, not HD, not Arnold, not anyone.

C3bodybuilding said:
Nobody can offer an over night body, not HD, not Arnold, not anyone. Except Anthrax Invasion, of course. He's god.

Thank me in your prayers.

Well in terms of strength you are only as strong as the weakest point of ur lift. So moving slower allows you to reduce the momentum which means ur not accelerating the bar past your weakest point of the movement. So training slower allows you to strengthen your weakest point allowing you to become stronger overall. Then if you compete you can do sport specific training and you will be stronger. And yes 170 is not big, but it is the biggest i have ever been, and without changing my diet i got there. I've tried many routines without really changing my diet. I have bill starr's book, tried 5x5, hst, gvt, tried it all with like i said a very similar diet and this HIT style of training has allowed me to break the 170 mark. But again im not here trying to change everyones routines, just having some good conversation. Whatev works keep on doin it.

Top Bottom