Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

kung fu....why bother?

Big Rick Rock said:
I think there are a lot of scam artist, or as Danabolics calls them "Strip Mall" senseis, that have damaged the reputation of Kung Fu... People just out to make money and not trying to advance the art. They will take their students monthly tuition and don't really care about their progress. They use the belt system as a retention tool and care nothing about advancing students based on skill.
What you get is a bunch of kids that have basicaly PAID for their belts and then get the snot beaten out of them by a good boxer, or wrestler or even a street fighter.

I agree BRR.
But it's not just Fu. I have seen lots of Karate, Kick-boxing and TKD clubs that use strip mall tactics to make money. A black belt doesn't automatically make someone a good teacher. Nor does a good fighter.
I fight pretty good and hold rank in a few different styles but to be honest, I can't teach a class worth sh*t. One on one instruction with a smart person, yes but classroom/group training. I am all studders and misdirection.

Spanky11 said:
I found that there was just a little too much mysticism behind the whole thing, i mean Dim Mak, and all that crap....

but the thing is, its the traditional Kung Fu styles that haven't progressed, and thats why I think they are useless.

, I think you'll find that nearly all of them have incorporated many other styles into their arsenal -
and not just "iron claw", and "preying mantis" (incidentally, where do they come up with these great names?).

1.I agree with the mysticism, but all styles posees that to some degree.
Does the Thai grave dance make the sport more combat effective?? No, but it is an integral part of the style.
DOes counting " ich, ni, sun, sei," make any more sense than using 1,2,3,4??
No, but Most Japanese styles insist upon it as well as wearing gi's and Hakama even in a non-grappling environment where training in shorts an T would be much more comfortable.
DO you see what I'm saying? All styles contain tradition that IMHO, should not be forgotten in the name of combat effective practicality. Other wise we may as well all train American shoot or collegiate wrestling and boxing

2.How can you say that traditonal styles have not progressed? Some have some haven't. The same can be said for many styles of Karate.
William Cheung has certainly taken Wing Chun to new levels, introducing advanced blade and weapons work as well as modifing some hand sets to better defend and attack against modern boxing.

3.Yes they have incorporated many other arts. But remember Bruce Lee created JKD from 27 elements of which 12 were Kung fu styles. How can an such an art, proven combat effective, have a base of Kung fu that is IYO, useless.? There must have been some practical things in those 12 styles of Kung fu. Filipino arts melted Kung fu, Kun Tao, BOxing(boksing), Spanish sword(espada y daga) and whatever else they could find to create the escrima/Kali systems that are so respected for combat effectiveness for years.
I trained Mande Muda Silat with Herman Suwanda before he died. A blend of pure Indonesian Silats such as Harimau and cippecut. AND I'll put it up against any sytem out there for combat effectiveness.

Iron claw, Preying mantis comes from the old 5 animal syatems descriptions and from the nun(i forget her name) who invented Kung fu.
Yes the names are silly when translated, but so is jab, jab, double rack 1,2. overhand, bob.

Or "canopener, banana split, heel hook,"

Or ikari wagazi or whatever the japanese kicks are. It cracks me up when talking to a karatetka who uses the japanese terms for his moves.
Where I come from, a roundhouse is a roundhouse.

One last thing. You take kyo kushinkai?
SO you use a low horse stance with reverse punchs from the hip to build shoulder strength???
Cool, where's the practicality of holding your hands that low.
I protect the head, not the hip.

Babyfaced Assassin said:
Whoa Illusionofsize!!!!
best answer ever!!

You are my new hero and role model!

lol. Bro, you're the one doing K-1 next year. That's a MA role model.

Unless that was sarcasm^^^^.

illusionofsize said:
One last thing. You take kyo kushinkai?
SO you use a low horse stance with reverse punchs from the hip to build shoulder strength???
Cool, where's the practicality of holding your hands that low.
I protect the head, not the hip.

You almost earned some respect as a knowledgeable martial artist, until I read those last last 3 sentences. Kyokushin is a full contact style of karate. Most of the top and past K1 fighters had their grounding in it. It is certainly not Shotokan, and no real deep stances are ever used. The hands are always up around the head - just like in kickboxing, to be ready to block the round house kicks that are aimed at your head, or knees.

Like I keep saying, go to kazaa and download the clip. Here's how to find it:

Go into Kazaa, hit the search button, and type in "kyokushin" in the "all" section, not just the video section.

a file will pop up that is 52, 936KB long called "Kyokushinkai vs Kung Fu", the artist is Alan do Nascimento.

NFL's4puffs said:
what a loada bollocks! u reckon kung fu is useless? you wanna
take a look at the shaolin monks in training my friend. if you
allready have then youll know that they are the best fighters
in the world. the training they do is unbelievable. think before
you make a judgement cause saying kung fu is useless is
like saying osama bin laden and bush are the best of mates!
hehe! id like to see any of the top ufc fighters say yeh ill
have a bout with Shi xeng shou! none of them would last 1
minute! FACT

hahahahhahahahahaha!!! this one gets the dumbest comment of the month award. hahahahaha!!! c'mon bro, these guys are DEFINETLY well trained and EXTREMELY dedicated, but they would not last a minute inside of an octagon or a ring. while they are well versed in their art they are not a well rounded enough fighter to survive today's modern mma fighter. i don't believe any martial art is useless if you enjoy it, but saying that the monks are the best fighters in the world (when they don't fight at all anyway) is completely ludicrous. FACT!!!

No sarcasm bro, i believe as a martial artist you can learn from anyone and anything
ANy style
I will listen to a total newbie critiqueing my technique if he says it with integrity and i listen without ego...

I can find role models in people better or worse than me... ntot hat there are people worse than me because i like to think that there's only better

Babyfaced Assassin said:
No sarcasm bro, i believe as a martial artist you can learn from anyone and anything
ANy style
I will listen to a total newbie critiqueing my technique if he says it with integrity and i listen without ego...

I can find role models in people better or worse than me... ntot hat there are people worse than me because i like to think that there's only better

Perfect attitude. Very well said.

Spanky11 said:
trad KF is an "art" and yes, it does look beautiful, but I just find that it lacks any real power.

China is not exactly Rhode Island. Yeah, you can find a slaps-like-a-girl style of KF if you look for one. So? Off the top of my head, you have Northern styles, Southern styles, times External vs. Internal, so there are four major categories right there before we even name a single specific school.

Beware anyone who lumps many different things together and then dismisses them all at once. It's a bad habit in oneself, and suspicious in others.

Spanky, no offense. You posted the answer I was looking for. I was waiting for you to defend a hip chambered punch. The fact that you keep em up is good enough for me.
As far as respect goes..... This is internet. I seek no respect.The only way to truly know how good someone is is to train with them. Any one of us could be talking out our ass after reading a couple a BB magazines or inside kung-fu.

BFA, I agree with you completely. My sifu taught me humility a long time ago.

Spanky11 said:
Like I keep saying, go to kazaa and download the clip. Here's how to find it:

Go into Kazaa, hit the search button, and type in "kyokushin" in the "all" section, not just the video section.

a file will pop up that is 52, 936KB long called "Kyokushinkai vs Kung Fu", the artist is Alan do Nascimento.

Ok I just DL'ed the vid... I'm not sure if this is the one you are talking about...

It looked like a couple of guys doing some kind of "Drunken Style Kung Fu".
Both of the Kung Fu guys got Owned by supperior defense and kicks to the head... one caught an Axe kick to the face, didn't really hit him square otherwise it would have broken somthing serious.

Top Bottom