Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I want to get into a martial art but am not sure what yet..

Years ago when the Rorion Gracie started the UFC and had his brother fight in his event. He was just trying to build the Gracie Jiu-jitsu club. You did have every style of fighter coming out at that time. Now you see a hybrid style fighter. I am business partner with Dan Severn and he is still a great fighter but he is not the whole package, he isn't the best stand up person. Anyhow, my thoughts is to get into a MMA training facility and have a good boxing coach to help you out. If you didn't wreslting in Highschool, the ground work will take more time to learn. But just remember most fights end up on the ground, if you knock the other guy down or if you trip and he jumps on you. So you need to know how to finish to win. Taekwondo is a good place to start, but a lot of the kicks they practice are not likely to be used against a real opponent. There again this is just my opinion, but hopefully it helps.

I'm in a similar position to princeshock (not meaning to steal this thread bro!) just wondering how long it would take to become effective when learning MMA? by effective i mean be able to handle the average asshole looking for a fight for no particular reason.........

A year or less depending on how hard you train and how athletic you are!

Taekwondo is NOT a good place to start.. It is not an effective art period! It is sport Karate!

go to a mma school jiu jitsu and muay thai are not good enough on theor own you need both to be a total ass kicker.avoid tae kwon do its not practical.6 months of mma training in bjj and muay thai would make you tougher than the average guy.

I'll tell you right now: 95% of fights will go to the ground at some point, whether by youre choice, or lack of balance. Take some submission grappling classes (brazilian jiu jitsu, submission wrestling), these will be your best defense/offense in a fight. I do a lot of jiu jitsu and I'll tell ya that number 1: You wear around a shirt that says BJJ on it or if rep gets around that you know it, people dont fuck with you, number 2: a good blood choke or joint submission is fifty times more effective than a attempted knock out punch. Not to mention witht he positions you learn, you can reign down on someone pretty well.

A good stand up to learn if youre into that is muy thai as well. Most effective and recent styles that i have see and practiced.

As far as Tae kwon do goes, its essentially the joke of the MMA world. things like outward crescent kicks and other stupid moves make it seem "useless". All I have to say about it is that if you want a quick and easy black belt, and want to learn how to punch someone (which you can do watching a youtube video) take tae kwon do. If you want to really learn how to defend yourself from a martial art that developed from street fights in brazil, start with Jiu Jitsu.

Obviously from the perspective of a BJJ junkie, but thats my 2 cents.

I've been doing martial arts since I was a little kid. Trained in Tae Kwon do, Tang so doo, kung fu, kenpo, wing chun and a few others...For the last 5 years I've been doing more Muay Thai, MMA and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I'm a purple belt in BJJ and I've fought pro MMA for a few years. I'm also a part time bouncer.

In my opinion, I would definitely train muay thai and some jiu-jitsu or other grappling art.

TKD is great for fun, and has some great moves that can win once in a while, but some of the theory is a bit colorful and unreasonable for a street fight. In all honesty, it really depends on who is teaching. I learned TKD from a very hard style of TKD designed to break and destroy, but not every style is like that. Some try to teach elaborate or moves that work in theory without ever being put in to practice.

Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu are very practical for any type of combat situation. The power and technique associated with good muay thai is ideal for self defense. Jiu Jitsu is an excellent combination to this since most fights end up on the ground. Being on the ground is very dangerous on the street and being able to effectively defend yourself and quickly get back up to your feet is essential. Also, being able to put a guy to sleep with a choke is better for you from a legal standpoint, then tuning someone up with kicks and punches.

Trust me, you don't want assault charges on your record. They carry weight on them

Just dont want people going around choking homeless people and thinking theyre scott free

Top Bottom