Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

iron absorption

toga22

SideShow Freak
I have been fighting anemia for over 6 months now...and even though I eat a diet high in iron, take daily iron supplements and receive monthly iron injections I have not seen any improvements. The iron level in my blood will increase to a normal level for the few days following the injections...but will quickly drop to a level way below normal. The result of course leaving me feeling "unenergized", (but this could also be a result of my sleep patterns), no appetite, dizzy spells or "light-headness", and deep bruises that appear between muscles...just to name a few.

My question is this ...Is there foods or factors that block iron absorption...or that will increase iron absorption? I have discussed this with my doctor...and have yet been able to receive a straight answer....or at least one that seems related.

Thanks for any help!! :)

~toga
:angel:

Wow, sounds like a tough situation. Here's my contribution, obviously the bioavailibility of iron is a lot higher in certain foods. Namely animal sources over plant sources. Vitamin C tends to enhance the absorption of iron, which is nice, especially with the iron fortified orange juices. Things that may block your absorption of iron are phytates and oxylates, they are found in things like coffee, teas, some veggies, etc. I wish I had a more specific list of the foods they are in but I don't have one with me. I neglected to look and see if you are a male or female. But I would be surprised if you were a male. Men tend to only lose about 1 - 2 mg of iron per day in insensable losses. Women on the other hand, especially when menstruating, can lose high amounts of iron through blood loss. I hope this helped somewhat, good luck.

Ryan

Yes, what Muscledm said. Other things to watch out for are mixing your iron-rich foods or supps with foods high in calcium (or with your calcium supps). Many veggies and legumes can inhibit iron absorption. Spinach, wheat and soybeans are particularly bad for this, but most foods high in fiber can also cause probs. My suggestion is to either eat lots of red meat with some citrus juice and nothing else for that meal, or to load up on well absorbed iron supps, including vit C and bioflavinoids but take these separate from high fiber meals, or meals with lots of dairy in them. Also make sure you're not taking any antacids!

Top Bottom