Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Incline

SharkBoy

I heard that incline bench press is a more effective chest exercise than flat bench. What are your guys' oppinions on this?

Actually you don't.

On an incline press the weak links will ALWAYS fail before the chest (unless pre-fatigue or a similar technique is applied). Shoulders and triceps are the weak links, putting the bench on an incline will bring the shoulders more into play, and put the chest in its weakest position. The pec majors primary function is to pull the arm across the chest and downward - therefore a decline press/dips are the best among the presses. A dip/decline press will minimize the weak links (the lats will come into play more, but they are not a "weak" link and act only as a stabilizer), and put the chest in its strongest position.

Don't buy into that "you can work the upper chest with incline presses and the lower with declines!" crap. This is not possible because of the pecs anatomy. Period.

In case you don't get the point - you should work the chest in its strongest position and minimize the weak links, and do not waste time trying to target the upper/lower chest individually.

So if this is true why do guys who lead with incline always have more fuller, powerful looking chests than guys who lead with flat - chest looks concave?

It cannot just be down to genetics?

Just a question bro, not a flame

Cackerot69

Yeah dude I got a ? for you that I really dont understand. I can understand what your saying 100% but I just dont understand how in the world people can swear for years in this sport that incline puts for emphasis on the upper chest and you claim that it doesnt make a difference... I hear what your sayin bro I really do but why do people who stick to flat barbell presses and dips and decline all have thin upper chests and thick lower/middle chests? I have literally witnessed this in highschool. What do you recommend for upper pecs?

I still do flat bench, of course, but I've tried doin incline first and doing flatbench last. Of course, after doing an entire chest workout I'm as weak as a girl once I get to flat bench. ;)

All the bodybuildings of the world do incline exercises for upper chest and decline and cross-over for lower chest.

I've never seen a before after picture in which an individual has changed the shape of their muscles. So yeah, I gotta chock it up to genetics and wishful thinking.

People assume because they "feel" an exercise in the upper chest more they are working the upper chest more. This is not the case, and this is the source of a lot of myths regarding this.

Cackerot69 is right, you can't change the shape of your muscles, it pre-determined in your genetics. You can only make them harder, bigger, stronger, or more defined. My upper chest sucks and I have done everything to try and change that but unfortunately I have to thank mom and dad for giving me a nasty upper chest.:(

Top Bottom