Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I'm aging and my health is hurting

gorillahung

I am about to turn 41. I'm a former powerlifter in the 148, 165, and 181 wt. classes. When I was 30 I got in good shape. I dropped to 180 lbs. and got my contest bench to 402 lbs. My squat was around 550 and deadlift about 475. I realize that those aren't world records but those are still respectable lifts in most meets. Now fast forward 10 years. I tore both rotator cuffs in a 12 month span. They both required surgery. I was able to make a decent come-back after the first operation but after the second tear I could not lift pain free. Now I have osteoarthritis in my spine. My doc gave me lortab for my back and I'm going to physical therapy. Apparently I have very tight hamstrings which is contributing to the pain in my back so I'm doing stretches. I also developed type 2 diabetes. I'm not on insulin but I'm taking a cocktail of pills. I haven't worked out in any way for over 3 years. I no longer wish to be a competitive powerlifter or bodybuilder. I'm 5'10" and weigh 190-195 lbs. The weight I've gained has almost all developed around my belly. I'm not horribly obese but I need to shed 15-20 lbs. Is it time for me to give up on free weights? Should I join the machine users? The last time I tried a bench press I struggled to lift 225 lbs. I was embarrassed by that. It really destroyed my ego for someone that once broke the 400 lb. mark on the bench. Does anyone have a suggested workout for someone that just wants to lost a belly and lower my blood sugar levels? My diabetes are under control with the medicine but I want to manage it naturally. I feel like if I don't get my diabetes in check that I'm not going to live long. If any of you middle age guys that are no longer in your prime have any suggestions please reply,

Gorilla

I'm not a middle aged guy, I'm a late middle aged woman who used to lift (though not competitively) currently with some of the same health problems (rotator cuff tears, congenital spinal problems, osteo in a lot of my joints, you get the picture). No diabetes but I'm working on high blood pressure/high cholesterol.

You're not obese at 5'10" and 195, you're a little overweight, but you've probably got one heck of a muscle base which would raise your weight and I have to wonder how much of that is fat ... anyway, weight loss is going to help the OA and diabetes and the answer is diet and cardio. For the diabetes you've got to eliminate refined carbs and sugars (think white foods, milk, white potatoes, white rice, pasta, flour, breads, etc.) and replace those with lean protein, whole grains and veggies. Think low carb/low glycemic index diet. There is mounting evidence that a high sugar diet (unrefined carbs convert to sugar) can create inflammation which will contribute to the OA.

Cardio, at least 30 to 60 minutes a day, five days a week. Steady state is fine, just get your heart rate up into the aerobic state and keep it there, work up a good sweat. With your spinal OA think low impact, walk not run, swim or water aerobics if you can and have access, elliptical trainer (not the stepper, horrible for back problems), biking, and uh, well, yoga or something like it. You need to keep moving that spine.

As for lifting ... if you get an answer I'm subscribed here because I'm terrified to try. I went the alternative route and it's taken me a long time and a lot of money to repair my shoulder injuries. I've been told that benchpress is horrible for shoulders. I'd just like to be able to figure out if I can deadlift, I'd be happy because that really helped my own spine pain, which has slowly returned since I stopped lifting (also three years ago). I was even wondering if I could come up with some sort of an assistive device so my arms just stabilize the bar (I've always worked out at home and have a trap bar). Depending on what you tore in the shoulders and what they repaired, it's just risky. You've got to discuss what you can and cannot do with your physician and physical therapist. I know the medical community's reaction when you say weight training but try to learn what you can.

When it comes to weight training ... I'm still making peace with the simple fact of life is that I have to give up something that I loved doing for years. You have to be practical here. You retear those rotator cuffs you're in deep, deep shit. You have to reduce the inflammation in your body and start looking into supplemental elements that will support the joints, things like glucosamine/chondroitin, fish oil, a more alkalizing diet, evening primrose oil.

Speaking as someone whose had a life of spinal problems, if your bed is a conventional spring one invest in a Tempurpedic or Sleep Number, seriously. Worth every penny.

Finally, just my opinion, the Lortab shouldn't be a lifetime thing, it only masks pain it doesn't heal anything and it potentially leaves you open to damaging yourself because you don't feel pain. Hydrocodone has the potential of being something you can become dependent on, acetaminophen is tough on the liver when you're already taking other oral meds. Find ways to live with the spine, get it functional, get yourself more comfortable (trust me, a good bed will go a long way). Strengthen your core. Just something to think about.

lift light, you can still do free weights and not just machines just lift light and leave your ego somewhere else.

all that heavy weight you were throwing around ended up wrecking your body, whenever you max out 1 or 2 reps its putting a tremendous amount of stress on your body .. from now on go 6+ reps per set.. if you cannot get that many reps without help then you are lifting too heavy. ease into it.

For both Gorilla and Mom I agree fully with Steve. I also am no kid anymore and seems like I always have something going on. I have a repaired right shoulder and both knees repaired (genetics on the knees IMO). But I firmly believe that you can still lift. For me going for higher reps with lighter weight works wonders. Actually by doing this I find that IMO I am looking better then 5-10 year ago. BTW am 53. Also water is very important for us that less young. Glucosamine and Chondroiten have been nothing but useless to me, if it actually works for you then gr8. I tried it from recommended doses to massive doses, nothing but a thinner wallet. Water and fish oils do the most for me. Good slow warmups and good cool downs too.
Good luck friends.

Warm-up help for certain!

Sent from my iPhone using EliteFitness.com - Anabolic Steroids, Bodybuilding

Top Bottom