Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

help someone with no fighting experience pick a MA

awnyerneas

Ok, I was hoping somebody could help me pick out a MA soley for the purpose of being able to defend myself. If anybody can point me in the direction of a MA that will help me get better at fighting it would be appreciated. Also if anybody knows any good schools in the ames and maybe des moines area of Iowa that would help.

Choosing a martial art should be done carefully, there are literally hundreds of styles to chose from. The bottom line is you have to be comfortable with practicing and applying the art, if you are not, move on until you find an art that suits your personality and bodytype. Here are some guidelines:
Follow the next steps to chose your art.
1. Visit several schools and meet with the head master. Good schools almost always offer at least 1 week or more of trial lessons.
2. Do not sign long-term contracts, at least initially. If a contract is required modify it to last no more then three months so you can fully trial the art, and if you do not care for the art you are not in a long term commitment.
3. Talk with the students, if there are many students who have been there many years and stayed with the school, chances are it is a well run dojo.
4. Avoid black belt factories. Belts are generally meaningless in the big scheme of things, however, they should be earned threw hardwork and sweat, schools that issue "shodan" (black belt rank) as fast as McDonalds sells burgers..WALK OUT!
5. MAKE SURE YOUR INSTRUCTOR IS LEGIT. Most instructors will be happy to discuss there personal history and about there teachers.
6. Pick up some martial art magazines, in between the advertisements, there are generally some good articles detailing a variety of arts and philosophy from those arts.

good points.

As far as self defense is concerend filipino arts are best imo. You learn blade and stick right off the bat - which aready gives you an advantage in a self defense situation. Not to mention the open hand stuff is pretty brutal and can be applied regardless of strength or size.

BJJ is also great when combined with philipino arts(kali, kuntao, arnis, esccrima, silate). Bjj will teach you how to grapple - which a lot of fights end up on the ground. Bjj is very fun to train and you will get a great cardio and muscle workout. There are a ton of different tournaments that you can go to too compete in the US.

were are you located - i might be able to point you in the right direction.

a good source of martial arts info is @ www.mma.tv . its one of the biggest ma forums. Its not uncommon for guys like tito ortiz, randy cotoure, pat militich, tim silvia and many other pro ufc fighters to post. You can find schools in your area by posting your location and asking for recommendations.

feel free to email as well [email protected]

hmmm. Are you in good shape to start with?? I mean no offense, but start with an art that gives you some basic conditioning as well. No ggod to know all kids of technique but not have enough wind to throw a punch or two.
I honestly think boxing is a great base(this from a lifelong FMA'r..). But I have great respect for boxing.
Of course , a little Kali never hurt anyone.

JKK, I'd disagree with BJJ and street fights. It's great stuff (I've done it for a few years), but I hold the belief that 1) in a street fight, you don't want to go to the ground because more often than not, if you're on the ground, you have a couple guys on top of you and 2) it takes a long time to learn how to strike well in BJJ. I'll probably never pull a foot lock or an armbar rolling on the ground.

So, I'll disagree with the BJJ. I love it, but don't think it's the most effective. Most guys out there are unskilled fighters, so I'd take a basic self defense class. Unless you want to fight, and face the possibility of serious injury, my advice is to just walk away. Basic self defense classes give you confidence, just beginning to learn a MA and fighting in the street could get you your ass handed to you.

I personally think boxing has been the most effective thing I've learned in the few fights I've been in on the street, and BJJ is the best thing I've learned as a 'sport'. If you aren't used to really being hit, it's hard to gather yourself after being having a quick combo done on your face. And when the guy falls to the ground, it's time to walk away. I'm not going to seriously hurt someone for being a drunk or dumb.

Two things: 1) All fights start on your feet, 2) Most fights end up on the ground. I recommend muay thai for standup. I've been training for years and I love it. I also train in BJJ, but could recommend wrestling, pankration, judo, and others for groundskills. In a streetfight your best ground move will be to get back to your feet. If there are multiple potential attackers you DO NOT want to be on the ground for any reason.

Grappling baby....as already said...most fights end up on the ground.........unless u get sucker punched and knocked out......lol

Top Bottom