Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gun Enthusiasts...

Yay! 2nd amendment. woo hoo.

Saw an interesting essay last night. Guy noticed the "Gun Free Zone" signs and the "Child Safe House" signs, and wondered how in the world anyone could think they went together. "Come over here and hide in the corner with me, Timmy, and when the bad man kicks in the door we'll die together"?

The writer went on to say that when he was a boy his dad told him to head for a bar or a gun shop any time he was in trouble -- because the people in those places knew what to do about someone who was trying to hurt a kid.

How people can argue FOR gun control is beyond me.

MattTheSkywalker said:
How people can argue FOR gun control is beyond me.

How people can live in a country where they feel the need to walk around with a Glock on their belt to defend themselves is beyond me.

bluepeter said:
How people can live in a country where they feel the need to walk around with a Glock on their belt to defend themselves is beyond me.

Unfortunately, it is the least of all evils.

Gun control cannot make guns disappear. What it WILL do, is take the gun out of the hands of a law abiding citizen. This person, as a law-abider, was never a danger anyway, even if they have machine guns. They don't break the law.

However, gun control does not take the gun out of the hands of a criminal, as they disregard the law. Thus, criminals will remain armed to prey on a defenseless population.

Police do all they can, but the majority of criminals are never arrested. So the public needs to be able to defend itself, since there is no way to take the guns out the hands of criminals through government action.

No matter how aggressively the gun control could be enforced, the black market desire for guns would drive the prices sky high, attracting an ever larger criminal element. (This is exactly why the war on drugs is unwinnable; look at what we pour into that without making a DENT. A war on guns would be a comparable boondoggle).

And of course, the other issue: What's the fastest way to impose martial law?

1. disarm the population.
2. impose martial law

Ask the experts: Hitler, Stalin, Saddam: Gun control works!

But evenforgetting that issue for a minute, there is no logical justification of gun control. itis merely another instance of people looking to Big Brother to givethem an illusion of security, like the Drug War and the TSA (airport security).

if there were a way to enact legislation and guns would instantly disappear, I would be all for it. But because there is not, increased gun availability is the only way to protect the rights of law abiding citizens.

FreeballinDC said:
In your first paragraph, there seems to be some confusion. Check out todays Washington Post online for the story. Evidently some Fairfax cops didn't know it was legal until they checked with the desk.

For your second, I really beg to differ. In the 9 years I have lived in the District, I have only had one incident, and that was somebody broke into my car and boosted my stereo. That's it. No mugging, no shooting, nobody has broken into my house, nothing! Yes, DC has it's problems, but they are nothing now compared to what it was like in the early to mid '90's.

Although I will agree that something could be done to change the gun laws here.

I am beginning to subscribe to the theory that if you are allowed to carry, it could reduce the number of shootings in town.

Sarcasm was used in my first statement... The Starbucks incident was that soccer mom calls 911 on cell and says 2 guys with guns... the 2 got detained for more than an hour....7 cops show up and couldn't get them on any charges.. so asked dispatch/station what to charge them.. well after an hr charged them with possess firearm in local w/150,000 population. Police looked too god damn embarassed to show up 7 strong and have to let the 2 kids go... So wrote them a ticket and took their guns.....Only when VCDL got involved they were allowed to go pick up their guns. and of course the officer berated the students, not apologize....

Well next time i'm sure they'll be a lawsuit for false imprisonment....Thats all you see FFx Police do.. write traffic tickets, tailgate you late at night to make you go faster, outright speed.... and not investigate any real crime (violent crimes)....all locals make $$$ by writing tickets...hell last time i saw them do some real work was when the DC Sniper was around last year... Sure got them to do some real work, but afraid on the job

DC is f'd up beyond belief...that you can't even protect yourself with a firearm if you wanted to....and you can't even vote and you pay taxes....

gtrcivic said:
DC is f'd up beyond belief...that you can't even protect yourself with a firearm if you wanted to....and you can't even vote and you pay taxes....

LOL we are working these issues, it's called statehood, but that's unrealistic, although one or two Republicans have seen fit to introduce legislation to allow representation, as long as other districts within the US were redrawn to allow a balancing of the representation.

Personally, I don't care. It's just nice to know my tax money is going towards lead pipe refittings and not up the mayor's nose.

Here in hillbilly land (WV) it's perfectly legal to carry a gun holstered in plain view. It's also easy to get a concealed weapon permit. All you have to do is take a safety class and then apply at the state police. If you don't have a criminal record for anything severe you will be approved.

or obtain a non resident Florida permit that allows reciprocity to something like 24 states..then a Texas non resident permit allows 15 states (overlap)...

FreeballinDC said:
Nope, that would be a concealed weapon, and you have to have a permit to carry it concealed.

It has to be in the open (hence the strap on holsters), and you don't have to have a permit to carry it that way.
same here in AZ..

digger said:
The writer went on to say that when he was a boy his dad told him to head for a bar or a gun shop any time he was in trouble -- because the people in those places knew what to do about someone who was trying to hurt a kid.
Smart dad...

Top Bottom