Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

For you over 250 lbs...

When one gains bodyweight, the potential for absolute strength increases, however the potential for pound for pound strength decreases exponentially. I don't know the science behind it, or I'd go into more depth, lol....a 150lb guy deadlifting triple bodyweight is at 450, an excellent lift, but a 300lb guy deadlifting triple bodyweight is at 900, and that makes him one of less than a handful of guys who have ever breathed.

A good lift is a good lift, and a gym ass clown is a gym ass clown....for every fat guy bouncing more weight than he can handle off his chest, there are just as many skinny guys raising their ass a mile off the bench and having their spotter row more weight than they can handle off their chest......but, I do agree, a respectable lift with good form is what we're all discussing here, and regardless of bodyweight and formulas and numbers, anybody lifting heavy (heavym or just heavy for them) with solid form has my respect.

On what's a good lift - To be honest, and I know this is a point of contention, I do not get anything out of seeing a guy who looks like an out of shape truck driver putting up 500 in a double stitched shirt, moving the weight maybe 8 whole inches off his 50" power-gut and getting his white's... But then I dont give a shit about a 180lb guy benching 225 for reps in the gym with 'perfect form' either.

I rarely see anyone in my gym who lifts anything worth mentioning, but one heavyweight bodybuilder not far from contest form was doing reps with 455 on the decline a few months back. That impressed the hell out of me (he was 260, but about 8% at that weight)

This thread coincides with the arguments on "300 or 315".

And the point I made on that thread is the same one I will make here....

Heavy=Heavy ... No matter who's arse is underneath it.

If you are going to look at lifts in porportion to body weight, then you need to start looking at the length of someone's arms, torso, and leggz.

I mean after all you guys want to be completely objective. A sawed off fart with a wide grip and arms no longer then a 5 year old girl...moving 300 lbs...not impressed according to your relative standards.

Heavy is Heavy. Hush and put some more weight on the bar.

thebigbabboon said:
This thread coincides with the arguments on "300 or 315".

And the point I made on that thread is the same one I will make here....

Heavy=Heavy ... No matter who's arse is underneath it.

If you are going to look at lifts in porportion to body weight, then you need to start looking at the length of someone's arms, torso, and leggz.

I mean after all you guys want to be completely objective. A sawed off fart with a wide grip and arms no longer then a 5 year old girl...moving 300 lbs...not impressed according to your relative standards.

Heavy is Heavy. Hush and put some more weight on the bar.
I agree. I have a 79" reach and I'm only 6'0" . I weigh 240 and have a one rep max of 475lbs. I do 225 for 25-30 reps.

You guys are all beasts!!!
I'm weighin in at 225 now ~15%, but my lifts are nowhere near all of yours... Gotta keep at it!

"Scotsman:
Hammer curls 100lb db's for 5 each arm"

I'd love to see the look on some of the bicep-squad guys faces while they're swinging with 40lbs and you're banging out 100lbers.... :p

I know what you mean about arm length. Mine are average but I saw a built back guy at the gym a while ago (have not seen him for some time) who was about 6'5" and I'd always joke with him that it looked like he was going to touch the ceiling when he was benching. Every one's weight was pumping in time all about the same height and there would be him with the weight going about 18" higher than all the others. The only true power lifter I've seen at my gym is this big russian (two s's or one?) looking guy. Not fat but built. He's strong as a horse and some of the weight he puts up is amazing. I kept stealing his shit one day on accident (weights, cable atachments, machines) and I walked up to him and said "I hope your not as fast as you are big, cause I keep stealing your stuff on acident" and he just laughed and said he pulled a muscle in his calf so I could out run him easily. Nice guy.

sidney61199 said:
No offense to anyone but I'm a little guy (5'10", 205lbs) so the weight lifted should be looked at as a percentage of the individuals body weight. I am much more impressed when a guy my size reps out 325 with perfect form than when a hoss (fat or just big) gets on the bench and see's how high he can bounce 350 or so off his chest. Alot of people watch in amazement at this feat of strength but I watch just to see if there chest cavity will collapse. Just thought I'd give a view point from a little mans eyes.

I find it funny when people like you post crap like this. The amount of weight lifted is affected by height on a lot of lifts. I'm 6'5" 280 lbs and I have a hard time on bench because I'm pushing the weight probably a good 7 or more inches then someone your height. Same goes for squats, If I go atf, I got a lot longer way to push that weight up then someone who is 5'10" or so. No I'm not makin excuses for the amount of weight I am currently using on lifts. I am pretty weak right now compared to where I was 2.5 years ago. But the amount of weight lifted has 2 big factors, training and diet. It wouldn't matter if I was 210 right now, I would still have relatively the same numbers due to the fact that I wouldn't train differently.

For many, perfect form consists of not touching down just so that they can't be accused of bouncing. It's like the guys who tell you that they have perfect form on their squats and, what's more, they always try to go near to parallel.

lee, I find it funny you defend your point so strongly. There are two sides of the argument if you think so or not. Sure you have farther to go with the weight but hell you can support more weight with your frame than people my size could lift due to the fact that your size makes you more stabil in dealing with heavier weights. So you can argue the "I have farther to move the weight" point and I'll argue "for your size who gives a crap if you have to move it farther".

I do apolagize for high jacking the thread, I just thought I'd bring another side to the issue into view. I'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong just that there are two ways to look at it.

Top Bottom