Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

DVD-R drives?

TC2 said:
Really depends on you machine. I have an AMD XP 2000, 512 mb ram and a 7200 rpm hd with a 8 mb cache.

Takes about (depending on the movie) 45 min give or take. Probably less, I never really payed attention.

That's copying a movie, burning a DVD from something that's already on your cpu takes a lot less time.

Do be mislead by the low 4x number, its not the same as a cd burner.

40-50 mins on a decent system and the only reason i suggest the +/- burner is cause no one knows what format they are going to stick its alot like the VHS vs. Beta Max Beta was better but VHS won... alot of DVD palyers cant do one or the other and alot of the new DVD players play both but those one i suggest are $300 for it. If you are useing just for data then the ones The Project said are just fine. If you are going to do movies then i say get the combo +/-

slickdadd said:
Wow. The prices have plumetted on those things. I remember when they were quite pricey.

yeah I remember when they were like 5K. but the kind I saw were external appliances consisting of 2 DVD burners and a SCSI drive.

I recommend the Pioneer a05 4x DVD-r model.

I can burn a full DVD movie in 12-15 min. It also makes great DVD backups for my Xbox.

Just pay attention to the media you buy, if you buy crap you'll get crap.

Ritek makes great DVDs for a great price.

Firebaall said:
I recommend the Pioneer a05 4x DVD-r model.

I can burn a full DVD movie in 12-15 min. It also makes great DVD backups for my Xbox.

Just pay attention to the media you buy, if you buy crap you'll get crap.

Ritek makes great DVDs for a great price.

why burn Xbox games when you can rip them on to a hard drive and play off that and its faster.

jwill3:16 said:

40-50 mins on a decent system and the only reason i suggest the +/- burner is cause no one knows what format they are going to stick its alot like the VHS vs. Beta Max Beta was better but VHS won... alot of DVD palyers cant do one or the other and alot of the new DVD players play both but those one i suggest are $300 for it. If you are useing just for data then the ones The Project said are just fine. If you are going to do movies then i say get the combo +/-

Well, I'm going to need to do both, but I'm not sure I've got $350 right now to spend on the drive alone.

Basically, the risk I'm running right now by buying a cheaper drive is that I could end up with the BetaMax of DVD's, but it should play in most DVD players, right?

why burn Xbox games when you can rip them on to a hard drive and play off that and its faster.

What do you use to rip the games from their DVD? I know to play your back up if your original gets scratched up, you have to have a modded Xbox and all....but what do I need to back up my games....talk to me

I dunno man, I'd just bite the bullet and get the most compatable one(Sony).

They make really good drives anyway and the software that comes with it is the best out there.

One thing about those cheaper drives is that DVD players seem to get picky when it comes to playing burned DVDs sometimes or so I've heard.

I know I have a burned DVD from a cheap ass DVD recorder(dont know the name) and it doesnt play very well all the time.

I have a 120 gig HD in my Xbox. I have over 100 games. So I just keep the good ones on the HD, and burn the less used ones on DVD for the archive.

HumanShell said:

What do you use to rip the games from their DVD? I know to play your back up if your original gets scratched up, you have to have a modded Xbox and all....but what do I need to back up my games....talk to me

The modded Xbox will rip the DVD games to a networked computer via FTP, or you can rip directly to the HD in the Xbox using programs like boXplorer.

Top Bottom