Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Defense against large breed dogs?

I don't know where you guys go to encounter the dogs you do....I am a veterinary technician and I can say in 9 years in the field....not once have I been bitten/attacked by a dog. You have to know how to read their body language...a dog will always change his posture and give some sort of warning (unlike cats...which can be very unpredictable and attack without warning.....)

Kicking a dog can work, but you'd be suprised how little agility large dogs have. They are also not as stable as you think they are. Most dogs when attacking will instictively leap off their front feet. This makes them even easier to take down. Remember to sweep them to one side or the other.

If they stay on all fours, they will be more stable and harder to take down, but unable to effectively bite at you. Arms are the easiest target and if they are above the dog's head, the dog must jump at them. When he does, you take him down.

I'd say from your description, 1 more rep, that protecting your dog from another dog would be a more difficult proposition. When an attacking dog is coming after you, he is easier to deal with than trying to keep your dog out of harm's way.

I would personally stay away from kicking a dog. Best case scenario is you land a kick and still have to deal with an angry dog. You might be able to chase him off with that, but then again maybe not. Worst case scenario is he clamps onto your ankle which will make it nearly impossible to deal with. All in all - risky.

If a dog bites on your arm, the whole "feed it to them" theory is true... to test it, start playing tug-of-war with your dog using one of their toys. You can pull as hard as you can and the dog just clamps down and fights back... but the minute you start pushing the toy further back into their mouth, all they can do is let go.

I was attacked by one of our rescue dogs just after we got him. I suspect that the incident was more about who was going to be boss in our house rather than an attempt to do me harm but since he was wearing a collar I grabbed it with both hands and pushed his head into the ground until he stopped wriggling. It was all over so fast I can hardly recall anything except wanting to keep those teeth away from my soft pink flesh and then using my weight to bear his head down. We were good friends after that.

Blut Wump said:
I was attacked by one of our rescue dogs just after we got him. I suspect that the incident was more about who was going to be boss in our house rather than an attempt to do me harm but since he was wearing a collar I grabbed it with both hands and pushed his head into the ground until he stopped wriggling. It was all over so fast I can hardly recall anything except wanting to keep those teeth away from my soft pink flesh and then using my weight to bear his head down. We were good friends after that.

Was it the cute little puppy in your avatar by any chance??? ;) LOL

Top Bottom