Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

College Athletes help me out!!!!

Mark44

I am 20 years old and have not played football since high school in '99. I could have played DII ball but had shitty grades so I stayed home and went to a local junior college. I have one more year left there and then I am going to transfer to a four year school. I have done several cycles since high school and I have gotten much stronger, bigger and faster than I was 2 years ago. I am thinking about walking on wherever I decide to transfer to and giving it another shot. I will be 21 when I transfer so my question is, how do you guys feel about older guys trying out for the team?? Do you feel like they have an advantage because of age?? Please give me so advice on how you feel about this. Thanks alot guys.

Reactions: Cut
No advantage because of age if you haven't been playing in over a year. You'll be somewhat out of "hitting" shape and practice shape when you take the field, and unless you've been doing gassers or field sprints in full clothing you'll be out of the loop as well for at least a few days. Some colleges have 3-a-day practices in the summer and most h.s. kids have a tough as hell time adapting to that even with the benefit of having played all the way through at least four seasons consecutively.

Depending on the program you'll likely have to do certain qualifiers just to be able to put pads on to try out: timed 100 yard sprint, coordination drills, etc. If you've been doing that then you'll probably be fine for the go ahead to do dress tryouts. However, it will also depend on your size and what positions you played in h.s. You might want to have your h.s. coach (if you and him got along) talk to someone in the program just to have someone know you're there. It's not always about how good you are especially if two or three other guys are trying out for the same position, so a good word from a coach can help out there.

We had a few guys who were older and some of them cut the mustard just fine. Other than joking around about old man and such it's no big deal. If there is any advantage at all in being a year or two older I can't think of any...besides, if competition to make the team is high then everyone is going to be hitting as hard as they can to impress the coaches. I forgot to add that on most college squads every player on the team was one of the top two or three players on his h.s. team in my opinion, just so you'll know what you may be up against. Lots of great players walked on and did well. Just because a scout didn't pick you up doesn't mean squat. Go get em like Tx said.

By the way, what positions have you played?

Last edited:
I have a friend that plays DI ball so I pretty much now what practices and drills are all about. I feel that I am in the best shape of my life right now and I dont think I would have a problem holding my own out there. I was all Division my senior year and lead my team in tackles with 115 at middle linebacker. I am only about 5'10" so I think I might be a bit to small to play that at the college level but I am going to give it a shot anyway. I thank you guys very much for your advice and support. Stay strong. peace.

That is definately something that came to mind. But I will be a junior when I transfer so I will have 2 years left plus 4 years of eligibility. And if I choose to stay at that college and get my masters then I will be able to use all 4 years.

I don't think your teammates give a fuck as long as you can bang heads, bust your ass, and NOT HAVE AN ATTITUDE LIKE YOU OWN THE PLACE.
I played against a LB this year that was 28yrs old in college, and I was a freshmen (18).

Physically, I don't think you'll have such an advantage as you might think. Some athletes develop quicker and that's what gets them looked at by scouts. It sounds like you know what your getting in to, and you've taken the proper steps to get where you need to be. Good luck.

Top Bottom