Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

sorry about the shitty layout, i copy and pasted, didnt turn out too well

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Boss101 said:
Thank you Madcow, I'll take a light week and start back again. Theres nothing wrong with the way I ramp my weights right? During the volume phase I ramp each week by 15-20lbs and during the intensity phase by 5-10lbs.

This time for my BB Row I'm thinking something like this,

week 1 180lbs
week 2 205lbs
week 3 220lbs New Record
week 4 225-230lbs New Record

It's okay. It all depends on what you can tolerate. Some will start higher, some lower, bigger jumps, smaller jumps. This stuff becomes highly individual. I'm one of those people who has come to despise the "Everyone is different, find out what works for you" because it is a frequent copout to rationalize all kinds of stupid shit that one might do in the gym - we are not all that unique. However, it is based on some truth and this is one of those areas where it applies. You just need to narrow down what is right for you in regards to progressions, loading tolerance, volume, deloading requirements etc...

More Results -

Jim Quini - up 13.5lbs even with pretty bad stomach flu and only realizing at week 6 that his caloric intake was underestimated.

Final workout and results: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4877589&postcount=76
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4879483&postcount=79

Training log from Week 6 and on of first cycle, as of 5/23/05 it looks like he's running it again back to back:
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391939&page=1&pp=20

Last edited:

Testing new TOC

fini

Last edited:

TheOak84 said:
sorry about the shitty layout, i copy and pasted, didnt turn out too well
Anyone who has tried to lay out a table using forum software will understand. It is the ultimate bitch. Looks a lot better than most of my attempts.

Madcow2 said:
Anyone who has tried to lay out a table using forum software will understand. It is the ultimate bitch. Looks a lot better than most of my attempts.

so hows it look? i know the back numbers are fucked, i think i short changed myself on the bench, its pretty dam easy, and i was over confident with the back, except for the deads but the squats are right on point.

It looks okay. Nothing wrong that I see and it sounds like you have been doing well and enjoying it from your other posts.

My only advice would be, that I'd avoid getting too wedded to even increments or the initial plan you put down on paper (especially first run though), that way if you think you can handle more you alter the plan. Worse case scenario you carry the weight forward in a lift or two. You really want those last weeks of volume to hammer you. Load hard (within parameters) and the results on the backend will be greater.

Madcow, can you clarify a bit on the "load hard", please?

I'm back around now to week3 and during the first two weeks I was happily adding in extra work here and there if I felt I had too much still in the tank after my scheduled workout. Not intending to knacker myself but just to get a little more worked. If this the kind of thing you have in mind or are you referring more to getting it right in weeks three and four?

Another example: yesterday (week3/day1) I grunted, literally, through my five sets of squats, half expecting each set to be resulting in failure. I got to my bench pyramid and reached the top set to find it a little easier than expected so added more weight and did a sixth set, mentally crossing off my first set as a warmup. Is this more what you mean?

Blut Wump said:
Another example: yesterday (week3/day1) I grunted, literally, through my five sets of squats, half expecting each set to be resulting in failure. I got to my bench pyramid and reached the top set to find it a little easier than expected so added more weight and did a sixth set, mentally crossing off my first set as a warmup. Is this more what you mean?

This is what I mean. Hitting it right in the core lifts. A lot of people have comfortably made their week 3 and 4 lifts. Because it's better to be conservative when you are feeling your way for the first time people have tended to nail all their sets/reps in every exercise accross weeks 3/4. In reality, you want to be training as close to the margin as possible and sometimes failure will occur. That's okay. If you read back a bit in super_rice's journal, you'll find he's noticing a much bigger strength increase in the deload this time around.

In reality it's a bit of art and science. You want to fatigue yourself right up to the point of overreaching (using the core lifts not so much assistance work). Being your own coach, you'll sort of have to figure out what that means for volume, load, intensity ramping, frequency etc...

Hey MC,

Would it hurt the program or anything if say I did two works one day after another? I'm not trying to gain weight, just loose...but do you think it would affect strength at all or naw...just go for it? I dont plan to make this a habit, just for this week, I was curious?

I realize this question is kinda stupid, but its just killin me lol.

Top Bottom