Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench press help

zeosim

I have a question about bench pressing, I've been working out for about a year and a few months really getting serious in the last half a year and my bench is so sad I can't seem to increase. I'm 5'9 146 pounds and I don't know what my max is but I do 5 sets of 5 at 150 and I can't seem to push more then that any tips would be greatly appreciated I've been stuck for months.

Hey bro, it could be so many things. No one can tell you without knowing everything about what your doing.

If you are eating lots of protein, switching up your routine every few months, putting in 100% in the gym, squatting, deadlifitng, not skipping leg days and your getting enough recovery between chest workouts your weights will go up.

Chuck some of them tiny little weights on that no one ever uses, that's what they're there for.

It could also be a form issue; maybe you need to de-load and build your way back up using slow and controlled form.

Are you training for strength?

I'm training for strength and size I have a skinny frame so...im eating like a madman about 2500 cals a day 195 g protien daily. My form I believe is good and doing legs and deadlifting I only have been doin for the last little bit as I wasn't as educated about routine but I do them faithfully now my split is
Chest- Monday
Bi/tri- Tuesday
Back-Wednesday
Shoulders-thursday
Legs-friday
Off-sat
Off-sunday

youre not eating enough...
im 5'5 150 and pretty damn lean, bench is not my best lift by any means, but you also probably have long arms like i do which is a mechanical disadvantage...
i have to eat 4-5k calories a day to gain... ive been up to 165 at my biggest, and thats what it took me...
take advantage of those arms and build a badass back with heavy deadlifts...
there are also other great chest exersises too that you can do that you will be proportionally stronger at to boost your confidence... that is, if your arms are long like im guessing...

You can go about adding weight a couple of diff ways bro.
On the 5x5 program, try this next week.
Just add 5 lbs to the bar. Do your 5 sets but dont worry too much about reps. What you will do is just work up to your 5 reps on each set.
Another way you could do it (the way I progress) is forget 5x5 on your bench. Instead use 10x3. And do it pretty much the same way as I suggested on the 5x5.
Do as many sets as you can at 3 reps. You prolly wont get all 10 sets and thats fine. Work up to you 10 sets of 3. When you get to that then add 5 more lbs.
You have to make the decision that your gonna do at least 1 or 2 or whatever sets at that weight. And then eveyr week add on them.
Good luck and keep us posted bro!

gotta put on some mass... EAT EAT EAT and workout and push yourself.

you are too skinny right now .. just keep working at it and good things will happen.. i wish i could tell you a magic trick to get your bench up, the only way to do it is to hit the gym and commit yourself

lol sorry bro 2500kcals isnt eating like a mad man! you could eat half that for breakfast and a mid morning snack imajin what you could eat in a day, add in some nuts boiled eggs peanut butter and youve got some extra protien and an easy 500-1000cals ontop of your diet, for strenght you need to eat, im 5ft6 at 160 and ive got a total bench of 308lb but thats down to hard training and strict dieting, youve got to work your body as a whole tho as you dead lift and squat your body in whole will grow stronger and bigger! dont skip on shoulders and tri's also, hit it big

3 things that dramatically improved my bench press ... A. Switching the amount of reps every single week B. Weighted Dips C. Standing shoulder press . Do those 3 things for a month and odds are you will come back and post that your bench went up.

Lol I guess 2500 isn't enough I'll start eating more and yes I have really long arms but I didn't think it would hurt my bench that much. Thanks for the suggestions

I'll increase my intake of food and intensity in the gym and post back hopefully a bigger bench

Top Bottom