Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Barbell Rows

45 degree angle...shoulder-width, overhanded grip with an arched back. i pull to the bottom of my ribcage. every other week i will switch to an underhanded and hit a more parallel angle

don't throw out pullups...do both rows and pullups

Do you think if I did barbell rows that it along with judo and squats might put a lot of strain on my lower back? Right now im doing Db rows

slobberknocker said:
I go same width as my bench, which for me is pinky inside rings. A little wider than shoulder width. I pull to about the bottom of my ribcage. I'm not quite parallel.

Same here, I use either an underhand or bench grip and always try to pull in the bench plane

Here is how I perform barbell rows:

- use a grip 3 inches than shoulder width
- establish a stance where there is a distance of 10 to 12 inches in between each foot
- slight bend the knees
- push the butt out
- arch the spine
- keep the back at 45 degrees
- let the bar start at knee level
- pull the bar into the waist
- make sure elbows are back

By using these simple techniques, my row has climbed from

165lbs for 8 reps in 1996 to

300 to 315lbs for 8 reps in 2003

Of course, it takes years and years to build up to a certain level.

I would never ever recommend performing rows with the torso kept at parallel to the floor. The purpose of the row is to target the lats. . .the strongest mechanical position of the lats is where the torso is kept between 45 and 70 degrees. A parallel position allows the lower back to do most of the work. I would rather build my lower back using good mornings, deadlifts, and hyperextensions. . but thats me.

One more thing. . .I always use an overhand grip because I feel that the underhand grip places the biceps in a precarious position. Dorian Yates tore a bicep tendon using an underhand grip while using 455lbs on the row.

I want my biceps to do the least amount of work. . as I said, I want the lats to work as hard as possible.

I used to go wide, pinky on the ring, but I think as soon as my lower back/gluteus is healed up I'm going to go narrower, index finger on the middle smooth area. Something that resembles a t-bar row, to hit the lats and upper back more.

I usually use a wide stance, and upper body near parallel to the floor but I think I'll try the 45°, barbell-to-the-navel approach other guys were talking about.

I wish there was a chart for grips on olympic bars so we could just say "grip 1" or "grip 2" etc.

The problem with rowing with the torso parallel to the floor is that there is a greater chance of rounding the upper back, which shifts all of the stress to the lower back unstead of the lats. There are too many negative things to say about the parallel position.

Louden, should I be alright then if i switched to barbell but didnt go parelle.....cuz grappling really puts stress on the lower back at times

muscledog95 said:
Louden, should I be alright then if i switched to barbell but didnt go parelle.....cuz grappling really puts stress on the lower back at times

You will be OK. . if you are suffering form lower back problems, be sure to rehab the area and strengthen it as much as possible. You still need a strong lower back to handle heavy rows.

My point was that it is really difficult to maintain a nice arch with the parallel position.

I think by keeping the back at 45 degrees, you will find this position to be much more comfortable.

Work with the technique, then gradually add weights each following week.

Top Bottom