Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

barbell rows: explosive or smooth?

zipzopzippity

when I bench press, i set up with good leg drive and an arched back, bring the bar down relatively slow then EXPLODE with speed using every muscle applicable to push up, keeping my form.

I've seen/read various opinions on rowing. Some say to use lighter weight so you can keep the motion slow/even on the way up and down to feel that flexing of the lats.

Others say to load the bar up heavier, keep strict form, but explosively pull hard on the bar upwards, and lower it with more control.

I like this second way of doing it since it mimicks the explosive movement for bench press. Therefore I like to go heavier so long as I'm not rounding my back and keeping strict form.

Same goes for any back exercise really, some peeps move the weight slow, flex and squeeze the back, others explode the weight (pull ups, barbell rows, hammer strength row mchines etc)

I prefer going slow with a 4-6 sec negative on at least one set per exercise.

Sent from my PC36100 using EliteFitness

Its interesting to me because I know damn well if I don't lift fast, or push with explosion for bench press, my "max" would clearly be at a lighter weight.

No one brags or boasts about how much they can row, and when the ego isn't as involved, like bench/squat, discussion doesn't happen as much.

I've tried going slow and clean for a couple weeks, then fast and explosive for a couple weeks. Both methods make me sore, both make me fatigued, but really in different ways. Which way is helping my bench? Who knows, I guess that's part of the gym addiction where the more you get into curiosity, the more curious and determined you get

I got great growth heavy but controlled then very slow negatives on a bench with feet together then shoulder stance on the floor then after complete failure I do 3 dead lifts squeezing my back

logically more weight would be better. i guess it depends if your training for explosiveness for like an athlete, then obviously you go with the latter.

mix it up. I go explosive with everything, but always do some slow controlled negatives with less weight at the end to really work the muscles and fill them with blood.

Top Bottom