Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Are you sick and tired of people interrupting your training - because I've had it

Weightlifterx

Alright, before I start off with this semi rant/semi discussion, I'll have you know I'm a weightlifter, I train seriously, and I compete. To also mention, I'm drug free. Yeah, don't act like it doesn't matter :p Just so it's out there.

Now, here's my problem. My gym is primarily a weightlifting club. However, it is also a gym where anyone can do whatever they want for a monthly fee. And I have no problems with that of course. The man who owns the club needs to make a living, obviously. It's also the *only* gym in the town where I can train weightlifting, since it's a weightlifting club, like I said.

Now, I don't have anything against anyone, neither powerlifters or bodybuilders, or guys that just come for recreation and do curls or whatever. I'm fine with that. However, I'm starting to get seriously pi**** at people who interrupt my training for completely retarded reasons.

I get powerlifters asking me for a spot because they don't have the balls to get under a weight they themselves put on the bar. I mean, I'm sorry, but that's just truth. And I'm too aggravated to sugar coat it. People seem to think it's really cool to interrupt my concentration and training to ask retarded questions like "Can you spot me?", or "Can you teach me to clan?", or crap like "Is my snatch technique any good? What about my good morning?", or how about "How much weight should I lift when I do a good morning?" (How am I supposed to know that? I don't know how strong you are for Christ's sake, and I don't care...).

And yeah of course I can teach you to clean, or spot you or look at your good morning technique. Because my training is not hard at all, and I don't need any concentration whatsoever. Because interrupting someone who trains seriously and competes is really cool! Because *you* decided to learn how clean, regardless of the fact that you don't want to compete in weightlifting, and of course, who to bother for that crap other than me, right? Because we don't have coaches who teach that (we do, but yeah).

The worst people are people who don't ever train seriously and don't give a crap about sports...people who do benches and bicep curls to have something to show at the beach...and those people waste my time asking me for a spot. Naturally, the suicide grip is as present as ever. God forbid he benches 10 pounds less with a safer grip.

Furthermore, you get those people who think that the chairs at the gym are a perfect spot for their pen, their notebook, their towel, their backpack, their water bottle, their wraps, their belt...well you get the point. Why don't you bring your cat along and put it there, and feed it while you're at it. I mean why stop there, right? Because I just didn't clean and jerk 130kg for 5 reps, so I'm not tired at all, and I don't need to rest really. Right? But it's a good thing all of your crap found a place to rest. Because *no one* in the gym needs to rest between workouts.

And of course...the best one this week. A guy approaches me in the locker room, and of course has a really smart question. He's like "Hey, can I ask you something?" I knew immediately he was gonna say something retarded. And he did. So I say "Ask away." And he drops the bomb. "How much does growth hormone increase strength? Can it increase strength by, let's say, 20%"?.....Really, dude? Seriously? Hey, why don't we have a cup of coffee after training, and I'll tell you all about it. And, considering this guy is a class A retard, he'd probably accept that offer if I had made it. No, I'm not even joking. Of course, considering the absolutely *massive* weights I lift, I *must* know how growth hormone works, right? For those who missed it, I train 100% drug free. So, yeah...

And there's always some retard putting his crap on the chair, asking for a spot, asking me to either teach them or look at their technique and *fix* it, or just feeling the need to talk to me for no reason. And I'm just really pissed.

So yeah...that's what burdens me. Sorry for the long post, and somewhat stronger language, but it's just getting ridiculous. And the more time passes, the more people I "know". "Knowing" means I don't really know them or want to know them, but they seem to think it's really cool to talk to me.

So my question is - how do I explain to people to basically bugger off, because I don't want my training to be interrupted all the damn time. Or rather, how do I say it without making the impression that I'm an asshole. Though I think I won't be able to avoid that.

Does this happen to anyone else? How do you deal with it?

Thanks for reading the whole thing. Heck, thanks for reading even half of it, I know it's a long post. I hope no one is offended by this post, it wasn't my intention. I got nothing against anyone, but damn, people are really annoying, and have *zero* respect for serious athletes. I'm not breaking world records here, but damn it, my training is serious, and I compete, and I need results. And people don't give a shit about how hard this sport is, or even how hard it is for a natural weightlifter to actually achieve good results.

Wear headphones. Pretend to use sign language to tell them your deaf. Pretend you don't understand english. The possibilities are endless....

Wear headphones. Pretend to use sign language to tell them your deaf. Pretend you don't understand english. The possibilities are endless....

Rofl xD They know me man...they are aware of my ability to speak :p And we all speak the same language. Aaaaaand listening to music during training definitely would not prevent them from bothering me :p

Thanks for your reply though, made me laugh :)

Yeah I feel better. But still, the problem persists, and it's not going away. And in 1 week, I'm going to feel worse again :p I really don't have anything against those guys, but they just don't understand the concept of training. It's simple - shut the hell up and train. And I really need concentration. The weights aren't getting any lighter.

The best thing to do I would think is to Shush them as they get close to you. Have your ear phones on and shush them as if your concentrating. When I'm getting amped for a lift I pace and talk to myself and no one ever seems to bother me lol. I guess people aren't inclined to interrupt a crazy Mofo that looks like he's about to rip someone's head off. This doesn't stop them from approaching me after the lift, but by then I'm to tired to care. I'm too busy catching my breath and calming down.

All kidding aside, ^^^Like Joe said. And there is also the, "I don't want to seem rude, but I don't like to be distracted when I lift.", honest kind of approach. We all go through it, just a part of standing out, I guess.

When it comes to equipment you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap you get crap. The bars will bend and bow. Spend the extra cash and get quality that will last and handle the abuse of hard core lifting.

Top Bottom